A Letter to the younger me | Teen Ink

A Letter to the younger me

By soumyaxx21 BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana
soumyaxx21 BRONZE, Carmel, Indiana

Dear past self, 

Before you press your school uniform and prepare for the next day at school, I have jaw -dropping news: in the next few years, you will not be attending this school ever again! No, you are not going to drop out but destiny has planned your path differently. You will instead be attending a school in the United States! Sorry for the spoilers, but the advice which you will be receiving today will help you become successful in a completely different environment.Do not believe in the stereotypes that people tell you;rather, read this letter carefully.

While you might be excited about your new life, start gearing up to face the challenges that you are going to face throughout this journey. A high school student's life in the United States is not as easy as you think. Imagine getting all A’s (especially taking rigorous classes like AP’s,honours and IB’s) while having multiple extracurriculars, working a part-time job and making time to spend with your loved ones. Start getting a good night's sleep now because, in a few years, it's not going to be the same. I also suggest you practice and improve your communication skills because networking with a diverse population requires a lot of skills. But remember, you can learn anything!

The Pani Puri shop that you always admire from your window , would not be present here anymore. Sorry to say, but you would not have access to the mouth-watering and scrumptious Momos and Golgappa that you crave everyday. Make sure to convince Mom and Dad to buy them for you everyday from now on; just be cautious not to ask them when they are in a bad mood!

Remember how memorable the long walks in the pouring rain with your friends are? You are going to miss that miserably. Please spend ample time with your friends because it is not the same feeling while you talk behind the screen, living 1000 kilometres away from each other. Just imagine that in a few years, you will never be able to feel the amount of excitement you feel as it turns 6pm in the evening and you run down the staircase to have loads of fun. 

But do not feel discouraged; while you would be missing the things you love the most , this place would also give you an opportunity to learn and improve yourself and, most importantly, prepare you for your future endeavours. The chance that you are getting is going to help you improve and become a better person overall. Stay strong and keep pushing through.Obstacles are going to always be on that way because the progress is never linear. You have to come out of your comfort zone to achieve something great, and I hope that my advice will help you achieve your dream successfully. 

P.S.- Feel free to press your uniform for tomorrow , but in case you are wondering,the high school which you will be attending does not require uniforms. Instead, start investing in buying more sweaters for the snowy days ahead!

Warm regards,

Your future self. 

I moved from India to Indianapolis on November 1st 2023,it has been difficult adjusting but I am learning day by day. I am super excited for my future here! Thank you.