The Elephant Slides | Teen Ink

The Elephant Slides

May 3, 2024
By 姜雨泽 BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
姜雨泽 BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I was a little kid living in Shanghai, one of my earliest memories was going to the park with my grandma. In that park, there were these two big slides shaped like elephants. One of them was super high and was scary to me, while the other one wasn't as tall and seemed easier to slide down. Standing there, I felt a mix of excitement and nervousness, unsure if I should try the big slide or go with the smaller one.

After a bit of debating, I decided to go on the smaller one. As I slid down the slide, the breeze in my face felt exhilarating, like a gentle breeze on a sunny day. I could taste the excitement in the air, mixed with the smell of fresh grass. I was a bit scared, but knowing my Grandma was there made me braver. She smiled and watched me, holding a fan to keep cool. I remember her laughing as I giggled with excitement. She cheered me on to try the taller slide, and with her support, I felt brave enough to give it a go. Soon enough, I was whooshing feeling the wind on my face, down the big slide feeling proud of myself.

I don’t know why I remember this moment. But I think this is a snapshot of a simpler time in my life filled with innocence and joy.  I had almost 4 years of life before that, but that’s the earliest memory that I can remember. And perhaps, in remembering it, I'm not just remembering a place or a moment, but the love and affection that surrounded me. Or maybe I just miss Shanghai, or maybe I want to see my Grandma.