Cityscape Changes | Teen Ink

Cityscape Changes

By aanyabhatia BRONZE, Woodbury, New York
aanyabhatia BRONZE, Woodbury, New York

Introduction:

Picture yourself riding the LIRR with my sister and me, the rhythmic hum of the train setting the tone for the day ahead. As we journey from the calm of Long Island to the pulsating energy of the city, we're not just on a casual outing but a deliberate exploration, ready for the significance the city may reveal. Are you prepared for this journey? Let's dive into our day.

Wall Street: Corporate Cadence

Upon stepping off, we find ourselves immersed in the heart of Wall Street. The towering skyscrapers embody financial prowess, and people in suits navigate the bustling streets with a sense of purpose. My sister, undaunted by the corporate hustle, engages in brief conversations with Harrison, an investment banker, and Susan, a financial analyst. Her demeanor seamlessly balances professionalism and geniality, blending into the corporate symphony. In this environment, her mindset adapts to the fast-paced and structured nature of the financial world.

Inside her brain, various cognitive processes related to social cognition are at play. These cognitive mechanisms enable her to effectively interact within the corporate environment, understanding the social hierarchies and expectations inherent in such settings. The fusiform gyrus and superior temporal sulcus enable her to perceive and interpret social cues such as facial expressions and body language, facilitating smooth interactions in the corporate setting. Additionally, structures like the amygdala and anterior cingulate cortex help her evaluate the emotional significance of these interactions, allowing her to navigate the dynamic social landscape of Wall Street with confidence and composure. The amygdala, in particular, seems to be especially involved in selecting which of the myriad incoming social signals are the most important, attaching an incoming signal with an emotional value. This allows her to discern the significance of various cues and respond accordingly to the corporate environment's demands.

Amidst the hustle and bustle of Wall Street, my sister's keen observational skills come into play. She notices the subtle nuances in Harrison and Susan's body language, picking up on cues that indicate their professional status and demeanor. This heightened awareness allows her to adapt her own behavior accordingly, mirroring their level of professionalism while still maintaining her geniality. By being attuned to these social cues, she is able to navigate the corporate environment with ease and confidence, forming connections that are both professional and genuine.

Tribeca: Pilates Oasis

Our next stop takes us to Tribeca, not for leisure but for a Pilates session. The studio exudes tranquility with soft hues and subdued lighting, a departure from the corporate intensity. The subtle scent of lavender contrasts with the city's fervor. Here, my sister's mindset shifts. Engaging with the serene environment, she strikes up conversations with Maxine, a Pilates instructor, and Oliver, a fellow participant. Her interactions reflect a genuine camaraderie, a departure from the formality of Wall Street. In this oasis, her mindset embraces a more relaxed and collaborative atmosphere.

Inside her brain, as she engages in conversations with Maxine and Oliver, regions associated with empathy and theory of mind are likely activated. These regions, such as the temporal poles and prefrontal cortex, enable her to understand the perspectives and emotions of others, fostering genuine connections and camaraderie in the tranquil setting of the Pilates studio. Additionally, the release of oxytocin, often triggered by social interactions, enhances feelings of trust and bonding, fostering a sense of community within the serene environment of Tribeca. The insula, known for evoking emotional responses to touch and other sensations, also plays a role in assigning the emotional value of different stimuli. In the soothing atmosphere of the studio, the insula may contribute to her sense of relaxation and well-being, enhancing the overall Pilates experience.

As my sister engages in the Pilates session, she becomes attuned to the positive energy and camaraderie in the studio. She notices the genuine smiles and encouraging words exchanged between Maxine, Oliver, and the other participants, creating an atmosphere of support and collaboration. This heightened awareness of the positive social dynamics enhances her own sense of well-being and connection to those around her, contributing to a more fulfilling and rewarding Pilates experience.

Pi Bakery: Casual Indulgence

Lunchtime guides us to Pi Bakery, where the aroma of freshly baked pastries creates a comforting ambiance. Sunlight spills through the windows, casting a warm glow on the mismatched furniture. My sister, laptop open, is not merely engrossed in her work but takes a moment to chat with Alex, a freelance writer, and Elena, the friendly barista. Here, her mindset adapts to the unhurried charm of the bakery, embracing casual conversations and fostering connections in a relaxed setting.

Inside her brain, as she engages in conversations with Alex and Elena amidst the cozy ambiance of Pi Bakery, regions associated with social reward and emotional processing are likely activated. The orbitofrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens, which are involved in experiencing pleasure and social connection, may contribute to her enjoyment of the causal interactions and relaxed atmosphere of the bakery. Additionally, structures like the anterior cingulate cortex and insula help her evaluate the emotional significance of these interactions, allowing her to experience genuine connections and positive emotions in the inviting environment of Pi Bakery. The lateral prefrontal cortex, known for its role in regulating emotions and adapting to new situations, may also be engaged as she navigates the informal social dynamics of the bakery, facilitating her ability to respond appropriately to the relaxed atmosphere and foster meaningful connections with those around her.

As she savors her time at Pi Bakery, my sister observes the warmth and camaraderie among the staff and customers. She notices the genuine smiles and friendly banter exchanged between Alex, Elena, and the other patrons, creating an inviting and inclusive atmosphere. This heightened awareness of the positive social interactions enhances her own sense of belonging and connection, making her feel truly at home in the cozy bakery environment.

Afternoon Diversity: Cultural Mosaic at Pi Bakery

As the afternoon unfolds at Pi Bakery, we immerse ourselves in its diverse tapestry. Languages intertwine, laughter becomes a rhythmic cadence, and my sister, deeply engaged in her work, pauses to chat with Jamal, an art student, and Maya, a photographer. Her perspective changes to one of respect and awareness within this cultural mosaic, deliberately identifying and appreciating the complex strands that make up the colorful tapestry of the city.

Inside her brain, as she interacts with Jamal and Maya amidst the cultural diversity of the bakery, regions associated with empathy and cultural understanding are likely activated. These regions, such as the medial prefrontal cortex and temporoparietal junction, enable her to appreciate and respect the perspectives and backgrounds of individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds. Additionally, her brain may be processing sensory information related to the bustling environment of the bakery, with regions such as the auditory cortex and hippocampus involved in encoding and processing the sounds and sights of the diverse interactions taking place. These sensory processes contribute to her overall sense of immersion in the vibrant cultural atmosphere of the bakery, enhancing her ability to connect with others and appreciate the richness of diversity within the cityscape. The anterior cingulate cortex, which generates reactions in response to different situations, may also be engaged as she navigates the complexities of cultural interaction, facilitating her ability to respond empathetically and respectfully to the diverse perspectives and experiences of those around her.

As my sister engages with Jamal and Maya, she becomes keenly aware of the cultural diversity and richness of experiences present in the bakery. She notices the different languages spoken, the varied artistic expressions, and the unique perspectives shared by each individual. This heightened awareness deepens her appreciation for the cultural mosaic of the city, fostering a sense of connection and understanding across diverse backgrounds.

Evening Retreat: LIRR's Rhythmic Hum and Reflection

The day concludes as we board the LIRR, the fading cityscape replaced by the rhythmic hum of the train. Reflecting on the day's undertakings, my sister engages in a brief conversation with Richard, a fellow commuter. Here, her mindset becomes introspective, as she shares experiences and contemplates the events of the day. The journey back to Long Island becomes a moment of collective reflection.

In essence, this exploration is not just a physical journey through the city but a purposeful odyssey, with my sister's mindset adapting and evolving in response to each distinct location. From the structured corporate realm to the collaborative Pilates oasis, the casual charm of the bakery to the cultural mosaic, her mindset weaves seamlessly into the narrative of our day. Each environment becomes a canvas for her to embrace and navigate, marking a profound insight into the gravity of our exploration. 

Works Cited

Adolphs, Ralph. “The Social Brain: Neural Basis of Social Knowledge.” Annual Review of Psychology, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2009, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2588649/#:~:text=One%20of%20the%20earliest%20reviews,temporal%20poles%20(Brothers%201990).

Peter Pressman, MD. “How We Socialize as Humans Is Caused by Our Brain Structure.” Verywell Health, Verywell Health, 29 May 2022, www.verywellhealth.com/the-social-brain-2488717.

Revistia, revistia.com/files/articles/ejser_v4_i4_17/Albulena.pdf. Accessed 29 Apr. 2024.

“Social Brain.” Social Brain - an Overview | ScienceDirect Topics, www.sciencedirect.com/topics/psychology/social-brain. Accessed 29 Apr. 2024.

“Social Cognition.” Social Cognition - an Overview | ScienceDirect Topics, www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/social-cognition#:~:text=Social%20cognition%20refers%20to%20the,to%20and%20perceiving%20relevant%20cues. Accessed 29 Apr. 2024. 

This piece is a deep narrative that weaves together personal experiences with insights from neuroscience, offering a vivid exploration of urban environments and the cognitive processes at play within them. It takes the reader on a journey through various city settings, from the corporate hustle of Wall Street to the serene oasis of a Pilates studio and the inviting ambiance of a bakery. Along the way, the protagonist's interactions with different people and environments are examined through the lens of neuroscience, providing a deeper understanding of how social cognition shapes our experiences in diverse contexts and the process behind adapting to our social settings.