My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

In English my name means stone worker, but I'm just a worker. Stone mason has never sat with me, I don't spend my time on the farms or moving stones. I spend my time with dedication and discipline. Learning the ins and outs of pushing myself to my best version of myself. It was March 2nd, 2018 when I learned it all.
I was in the car with my dad, tensions high. I was trying out to join the USMYNT (US Men's Youth National Team) for a chance to travel to Spain and represent my country overseas in one of the largest tournaments of the year. I was only 11 at the time and had no clue what I was stepping into. I hadn't learned what it takes to push myself and really try my hardest.
I thought things would be handed to me, after stepping out on the pitch, I quickly realized this wouldn't be the case. I knew I was going to have to work for a spot on this team and for my future in the sport. I recall working myself to the end, I got into the car, exhausted and overheating. Then I was out, this is when I realized this is what I wanted the most. This is when I realized I was a worker and that I will do whatever it takes to succeed. I saw this when I pushed my self to the end and got a spot on the team for the year.

My name