The Annual Thanksgiving Trip | Teen Ink

The Annual Thanksgiving Trip

By 5brunnere BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
5brunnere BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin

When I go to Florida during Thanksgiving  you will always see me the happiest. My cousins and extended family all get together to celebrate the time of Thanks in Florida. I was super excited to see everyone because we only see them twice a year.

Every year my mom makes the extended 16 hour drive from Wisconsin to Seaside, Florida and I will forever be grateful for her doing this..

After the long trip down this year, filled with brown grass, trucks and gas stations, I finally stepped out into the fresh, breezy Florida air. My cousins –my brother, my two cousins, and two second cousins– were all going to arrive on different days but I was just excited to be able to see them again in warm air.

My grandparents dog greeted us in a flash with her golden fur shining and her tail wagging. “Hi Penny!” I exclaimed as she continued to rush around us. My grandparents walked out from the house and I rushed to give them a hug. “It’s so good to see you again” I rushed. 

I was excited to be back in the familiar cozy house surrounded by family. After saying our hellos, we started the long tedious process of unpacking bag after bag into the house in the hot sun.

Finally an hour went by and we were unpacked and settled in. It was finally time to go down to the beach. 

As I walked down I could smell the salt and hear the waves crashing on the soft sand. Seashells dotted the shore and seagulls circle in the sunny, blue sky. Walking into the cool water, I was very happy to once again be back at the beach.

I wrote this piece because it is always one of the highlights of my year and to show how much I really enjoy family and the beach.