Winding Paths | Teen Ink

Winding Paths

November 16, 2023
By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
108 articles 9 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?


“Now class, if you’ll look at [BananaN3rd]’s work, then that is an example of the type of work I want to see from you.” All eyes turned to me as I continued doodling, pretending not to have just been called out. The girl beside me whispered to her friend, “I think [BananaN3rd]’s work looks like garbage.” She giggled. “But little Miss Perfect would obviously be chosen by the teacher.”

Excuse me?! No, seriously, what? I’ve always done my work on time, I’ve always done it to the fullest I can, and all I get for all of that is someone’s ridicule. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at this point.

Since I was a little kid, I was always told to be the best. Be better than other people. I realise now that that was wrong, but it started me down a path that I could never go back on. The path to perfection. But . . . that isn’t what I want.

While other people get to have fun after school and play with their friends, I’m always stuck doing something else. And even though I don’t want to be doing it, I always find myself sitting at my computer doing schoolwork that won’t be due until the following month. I’ve never found anything wrong with it, but my friends . . . well . . . they tend to think that I’m being forcible strapped down to a metal chair and being told to do work. I’m not. I just like having something to do.

Funny thing about autism. Now, stop reading this and go be productive.