My Transformation After Tutoring Children | Teen Ink

My Transformation After Tutoring Children

By sharonlin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
sharonlin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

Education is the key to unlocking a brighter future, and it can be difficult for some. Growing up in public school made me realize the struggles that may surface, and I was unsure how to navigate these hurdles. However, with a supportive community around me, I flourished in my academics.

I was immediately drawn to it when I first learned about the opportunity to tutor children at an academy. As I recognized the importance of providing educational support to those who may not have access to it and those who had challenges like me, I eagerly embraced this endeavor. With a heart full of enthusiasm, I eagerly embarked on this journey. However, a part of me felt nervous and worried. What if my ways of tutoring fail to reach expectations?

But my experience changed my thoughts right away. I quickly enjoyed my role rather than being worried about my tutoring. One of the most rewarding aspects of tutoring was the opportunity to build meaningful connections with the children. I enjoyed every moment spent teaching them about units in math, fractions, vocabulary words, and more. I even felt nostalgia for my years in middle school.

Every child learns differently, and I quickly realized the importance of tailoring my instruction to suit their learning styles. I tried to explain problems in numerous ways to find the most effective strategy for each student.

One of the greatest joys as a tutor was witnessing the blossoming of confidence in these children. Initially, I noticed them wrestle with a challenging question, and they looked stressed, similar to my younger self. But slowly, I taught them how to approach the complicated problem, and it clicked! I was proud of the students and myself.

Working with students improved my confidence. Although I worked with students younger than me, I now feel more at ease in social interactions. I started to believe in myself when obstacles came along, including schoolwork. 

While the ultimate goal of tutoring was to help the children excel academically,  I always sensed that there was a more profound impact. Not only do tutors enhance a student’s skill in problem-solving, but we also make them more empowered. If more young people join the education field, our generation will have a more accessible and brighter future. 

My experience as a tutor at the academy has been nothing short of transformative.