Isolation | Teen Ink

Isolation

By ChaseGuillory BRONZE, Tarzana, California
ChaseGuillory BRONZE, Tarzana, California

Cramped between the four walls in my room, I adapted to the solitude. Through playing video games and binge-watching different Netflix series, I dealt with the endless hours of longing for the freedom I once had. Facetiming friends – the only connection to the real world. This closed world also allowed time for learning and growth, waiting for the days I could taste the warmth and freedom in the air. I found the sound of silence peaceful and resolving, but I wanted to venture out to the world I had known for years again. Like a bubble waiting to burst, I was anxious to find the change in my small world, the change in people. At last, the day arrived. I stepped outside my front door, feeling resilient, and having appreciation for both the world outside and solitude.

This piece is inspired by my personal experience during COVID-19. It was a rough time for everyone, but I know that everyone handled the isolation differently. This short story describes how I felt and how I was able to grow through this time.