Living on the Edge: My Journey to Fly on Adrenaline | Teen Ink

Living on the Edge: My Journey to Fly on Adrenaline

October 1, 2023
By WendyGu BRONZE, Hangzhou, Other
WendyGu BRONZE, Hangzhou, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
carpe diem


Amidst the seemingly monotonous high school routine, I have always felt like an outsider, chasing a high not from test scores but from adrenaline. This electrifying sensation not only defines who I am but also invigorates my life, transforming it into an adventure.

The realm of the public forum debate was my true sanctuary where the thrill of debate breathed life into my existence. While debating, words flowed like a mighty, unbridled river, surging with an unstoppable force. I stood resolutely at the helm of this rhetorical ship, steering it through the tempestuous waters of discourse. Each argument, each counterpoint, was a gust of wind that billowed our intellectual sails, propelling us further into the vertiginous currents of debate. This unparalleled sensation bores no relation to perilous physical pursuits. Instead, it was fueled by the sheer ecstasy of intellectual combat. In the arena of ideas, I found uncertainty and exhilaration coexisting, and it was how I truly felt alive.

The world of skydiving is also where I steer the ship through the boundless sea.

In the skydiving freefall, it's as if gravity itself has relinquished its grasp on my body, allowing me to float in a realm that defies the mundane. The world below, with its sprawling landscapes and bustling cities, becomes a breathtaking tapestry of life seen from a vantage point few ever experience.

Diving headfirst into the boundless sky, I feel as if I've shed the constraints of the everyday world and embraced the uncharted territory of human potential. We have but one life to live, and daring to defy the boundaries we once thought unbreakable is an intoxicating thrill. It's a reminder that our existence is finite, urging us to seize each moment with a relentless spirit of adventure and exploration.

How can I imagine my existence without adrenaline - the spark that sets my soul ablaze? If the electrifying embrace of adrenaline is no longer present in these activities, the high school debate, once a fiery battleground, might turn into a mere exchange of words.  The thunderous heartbeat, the unstoppable river of words, all would cease to be.

Devoid of the soaring ecstasy,  Skydiving would become mundane descents. The gravity-defying freefall might feel more like a casual drop, as my decisions no longer carry the desire to push boundaries and defy human potential. Instead, they might be driven by a sense of conformity, a desire for predictability, and a craving for safety.

In such a world, living on the thrill and risks, as I've come to know it, might become a distant memory, a shadow of what once was. Without the adrenaline, I would still exist, but the essence of who I am would dim.

From high school debate to skydiving, Adrenaline makes life mirror the crackling flames of fire and the freedom of soaring birds. Adrenaline is not just a chemical reaction; it's the essence of living life to the fullest, an unrelenting pursuit of the extraordinary in the ordinary. I can’t live without it.


The author's comments:

When I contemplate the title deeply, it's as if the essence of adrenaline and all that skydiving and debating represent comes vividly to mind. 

The inspiration for this piece likely stems from my deep personal connection to adrenaline-inducing activities such as extreme sports and debate. I am drawn to these experiences because they provide me with a sense of thrill, adventure, and vitality that I find essential to my life. This piece serves as a means for me to express and share the profound impact that adrenaline has had on my life and how it has shaped my identity.

What I want readers to take away from this article is an understanding of the pivotal role adrenaline plays in my life and how it has transformed my perspective. I want them to appreciate that life can be enriched by embracing what makes them feel truly alive, whether it's through intellectual pursuits like debate or daring physical adventures. Additionally, I aim to inspire readers to break free from the constraints of routine, to seek out experiences that challenge their boundaries, and to savor the exhilaration that comes with living on the edge. Ultimately, my goal is to motivate and encourage others to infuse their own lives with a sense of adventure and excitement, just as I have done.