I could never live without a bike. | Teen Ink

I could never live without a bike.

By Hi_rums BRONZE, Ramsey, Minnesota
Hi_rums BRONZE, Ramsey, Minnesota
2 articles 1 photo 1 comment

My bike is my life, my outlet, my magnum opus. For many, it is quite the opposite, as biking is just the way they get around or the way they spend time with their families, but for me, it is a necessity, and it is a constant. In the middle of winter, I long for the trails, I can’t wait for the snow to melt, so I can continue on, biking as I wish. In the off-season, my bike is like a Christmas ornament in the summer, sitting dormant in a storage closet.

I could never live without my bike. It helps me do so many things, like meeting up with friends, transportation, entertainment, and exercise. I could never live without my bike, as when I bike, I feel free, and I feel the wind running through my hair, as I fly through the trees.

I bike to school and to work because I can, and because it's fun. Without it, I would not have a ride to work, making it impossible for me to get to my job. Without it, my parents would have to drive me to school, hurting the environment, and costing my parents more on gas. I biked a lot this year. Over the summer, 200 miles, and in the past three weeks, over 80 miles.

I bike for fun, and I bike to feel the wind on my face, and I bike to see great views and scenery. I mountain bike to jump, and ride skinnies, and bounce over rock gardens. Without it, I never would have experienced Cuyuna or Slick Rock. Without it, I would never have loved nature like I do now.

I bike to relieve stress, as it helps me to take my mind off of school, embarrassment, and stressful moments. I bike for the strength it gives me, as without it, I would never have had as strong of legs, or the cardiovascular strength that I have now.

I help build and maintain mountain bike trails because of my bike, and I meet new people by doing that; I meet my friends more often because of that; I gain knowledge in building; and I keep more wood from getting thrown away into the ever-growing landfills. 

Truth be told, I could never live without my bike, as even though at times it can be painful, clunky, crude, and annoying, it is, most of the time, fun and epic, and useful. Without a bike, I would have, at times, had fewer bruises, aches, scrapes, scars, strains, and pains. But the good outweighs the bad; my life would be far worse without it, and that is why I could never live without my bike.

I wrote this for a school project and decided to upload it into teenInk for the competition