My Family Book | Teen Ink

My Family Book

September 26, 2023
By BrodyD BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
BrodyD BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Opening up the book to the first page I see the first family photo, all of us standing in front of Elkhart Lake my dad holding my sister and my Mom holding me, and next to it is a photo in the same spot taken 8 years later, how different I become but how much we all are the same. 


I flip to the next page and see two different photos, one of me and one of my sister, Young me is standing next to our fridge wearing a Badgers jersey and looking very confused, the one next to it is my sister on the toilet (2 years old) holding a newspaper making a very concerning look at the camera. I flip the next page and see my grandparents, it makes me smile thinking that they looked like they have not changed since the day of that photo, next to it is the picture of my parents' wedding day, how happy they were, remarkable that the photo was taken 25 years ago.


Flip the next page and see me and my sister standing in front of Cinderella Castle, I think of all of the trips we go on, with the following page being me with a picture taken with a go pro looking as skinny as can be in the Hawaiian waves crashing over me. The following picture was my sister drinking out of a pineapple, all of us standing in front of a waterfall of course my dad taking a selfie.    


The selfie was my worst enemy when I was younger and it still is, multiple pages after the first selfie were many more; next my father and I standing on the entire of the Empire State Building, and next was the entire family in California to a Giraffe, following was my dad and mom at the top of Ferris wheel. Even though it makes me feel so awkward when people are staring at us taking selfies, it is how my dad captures the memories I always look back at, and I am thankful for him doing it. 


Getting to the end of the book I am getting older, starting to come more to understanding myself. My mom always points out her favorite photo was me and her on our boat cuddled up next to each other my young blonde hair flying in the wind. 


As I close the book I am filled with joy with the journey I just saw of my family, wondering how many more photos could be added since we made that book. But for now, it is just the Dentz Family Book 2019.