Life Without Laughter: No Laughing Matter | Teen Ink

Life Without Laughter: No Laughing Matter

By booklover0725 GOLD, Bethesda, Maryland
booklover0725 GOLD, Bethesda, Maryland

"What can't you live without?" It's a tough question, isn't it? There are so many things in life that we cherish, from our morning coffee to our comfy socks, but if I had to pick just one thing I absolutely, positively can't live without, it has to be laughter.

Picture this: you've just met someone, and you're trying to break the ice. You make a few polite attempts at small talk, but there's still that awkward tension in the air. What do you do? Crack a joke, right? Because laughter is a universal language, one that connects us all. A world devoid of laughter is a bleak image, and not a world I would like to live in. 

According to Mayo Clinic, laughter can help reduce stress, relieve pain, improve your mood, and even boost your immune system. Whether through the inside jokes I make with my friends, a funny story I tell to my family, or just one of those unexpected moments of hilarity that catches me off guard, the simple pleasure of sharing a laugh never fails to make me feel better. It's the reminder that even in tough times, there's always something to smile about. 

Without laughter, life would feel like a never-ending Monday morning. A world without laughter would be like a joke without the punchline, a pizza without the toppings, or a birthday party without the cake. No laughing matter, indeed!