Guitar Withdrawal | Teen Ink

Guitar Withdrawal MAG

September 22, 2023
By AJSantino BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
AJSantino BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 2 photos 0 comments

Many teenagers ask for a car for their 16th birthday, but for me — a 2009 Fender Stratocaster was all I
wanted. On the morning of my 16th birthday, I anxiously walked into my family room to be met with an
abnormally large box leaning against my couch. I knew that a box this size could mean one thing, and one thing only! The faster I tore apart the packing, the faster my dream became a reality. Once opened, the light from my living room fan shined down upon the guitar's sunburst finish, like it was one of God's flashlights. Its metal components, such as the bridge, tuners, and tremolo arm, appeared as spotless and elegant as the classic cars that are featured on magazine covers. It was — almost perfect.

Since then, I have made several modifications to it in hopes of making it look like one of Jimi Hendrix’s guitars. I have purchased and personally installed vintage-style tuners, cream-colored plastic parts, and vintage strap pins to mimic an authentic 1960s Fender Stratocaster that Jimi himself would have played. Beyond just its specs, it is an incredibly versatile instrument capable of achieving all different types of tones.

Every day when I come home from school, I immediately sit down, grab a pick, switch on my amplifier, and
begin playing. In times when I am without my guitar, it can be... difficult for me. Last summer, I went to Lake Tahoe with my family for an entire week! Lake Tahoe is a beautiful place that many, including myself, consider a dream vacation, but for some reason, I constantly found myself feeling homesick without my guitar. I would stay up late at night watching YouTube videos of guitarists playing song covers, and I couldn't help but feel jealous of them. My guitar is as essential to me as paint was to Van Gogh.

I have been fortunate to grow up around others with similar attachments to their instruments. My grandmother was an avid pianist, guitarist, violinist, and even flutist. I remember moments from when I was younger when I would go to her house and be mesmerized by all of her instruments, and even further dumbfounded by her ability to play them all. I wish to play for my grandchildren as my grandma would to me. The power of music never fails to amaze me. It can immortalize feelings, moments, and even entire lifetimes. If my guitar were to ever be withdrawn from my possession, I would be unable to leave behind a musical legacy for my descendants to remember me by.


The author's comments:

The prompt given was asking about "One Thing You Can't Live Without." With respect to the prompt itself, I chose to take it literally and write about an actual THING! I hope that this piece can disprove the misconception that valuing objects is materialistic. Some objects can bring people together. Musical instruments at face value are technically just objects. However, their impact on some of us can truly be immeasurable.