What Comes Next? | Teen Ink

What Comes Next?

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

I got an email the other day, telling me about opportunities I would have as a junior. I’m surprised that I didn’t have a heart attack right then and there. Somehow, my school story is almost over. I’ve spent practically all of my life having to follow a schedule, following basic rules, and struggling to maintain good grades. What am I supposed to do now?

I consider myself unlike all of my friends. For starters, I’m the most introverted introvert you’ll ever meet. Autism shakes its hand with anxiety’s sweaty palms. I also tend to love school. I love having a set schedule, (also thanks to autism) I enjoy being able to have a quiet place to read, write and draw, and the best part of all, I get pizza every single day. 

I hear people talking about the prom, homecoming, and literally every single afterschool event that’s known to man. But I never hear them talking about what’s to come after. College? Moving out? TAXES?!

School doesn’t prepare you for what’s to come after. We don’t ever hear about how to pay bills, how to get a job, how to buy a house. Instead, we just have to sit on our bums and continue learning about some dead guy that wrote cheesy romance. (Yes, I hate Shakespeare. After the first three times listening to ‘Romeo and Juliet’, I kinda developed a burning passion for it.)

What’s after everything? Why can’t I sleep without having anxiety about the future? Why can’t we learn about important things that don't involve someone dead? Yeah, yeah, I know. Big stretch.

About that email, though. Just for my sake, I just swiped for it to remind me one week before school. I don’t want to look at it any more than I have to. I don’t think anyone would. For now, I just hope that time passes slowly for me. I quite enjoy my schedule. (Not including Algebra!)