Acceptance | Teen Ink

Acceptance

May 26, 2023
By tairen BRONZE, Flushing, New York
tairen BRONZE, Flushing, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A joke. A joke is supposed to be funny or make someone laugh. On birthdays, there can be that one friend, who jokes around, saying, "you're one more year to death." I'm sure we all have this one friend. Although, it comes off as a joke. However, the more birthdays you have. You soon realize it isn't a joke anymore. Regarding the topic of death, I used to be scared of death, so much so that I would think about it at night (not in a suicidal way). Regardless, I know death can be scary for most people, especially those who don't know what happens after death. However, some say that death can be peaceful. Dying is a process of suffering or pain. People feel uncomfortable when others are suffering. However, once that process is over, there is no more suffering. 
I'm unsure when I overcame this fear of death, but I eventually accepted it. Everyone inevitably dies, and there's no need to sugarcoat it, as that will only make you more fearful. One thing I learned is the appreciation of life. Because we only live for so long, there's so much we can do. Although to some, it may be sad that it isn't possible to stop death. Many people have tried to find methods of being immortal. The issue about being immortal is that it's endless. However, a human has emotions. They will slowly go insane, even those who are very strong-minded. Apeirophobia is the fear of infinity or eternity. There will come a time when you want to die.

 

One can’t however the other can 

Forced to do what the other can’t

standing up for myself as a man

Feeling no emotions like a plant 


Coming from two 

Only being one

Questioning who

An awful son

 

Asian parents, well generally all parents, want their children to do well in school. I'm sure they mean no harm. However, to us, the children, it means everything. The stereotype for said Asian parents, they want their children to get 100s, and if they don't, they are worthless. Just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are parents out there who are like this. It's to the point that it's detrimental to the children. Stress is a state of worry or mental tension caused by a difficult situation. Stress can relate to many people, students, adults, and even the elderly. Some Asian parents have high expectations for their children, and when those expectations aren't met. They are given hell for it. This is what I'm ashamed of about my culture. Not saying my parents are like this, but I know others whose parents are like this. I'm not sure there is anything else to say.


The author's comments:

Hi, I’m Tao. I come from East-West School of International Studies. This piece was written for my creative writing class. This piece is a grow up story.