Apathy | Teen Ink

Apathy

By bennettm23 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
bennettm23 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

I dropped my number #2 pencil and stood still in shock in the middle of the room. My eyesight becomes blurry and everyone sitting at their desks starts to stare at me with confusion. Am I really this stupid…? This paper decided my fate in this class. I turned around to have the major realization that my worst work is on that final piece of paper in the turn-in tray. My final test of the year, and I just didn’t try. That is not something I do. It was also a Friday… ugh. I don’t know what came over me to turn in work. Anyone would be ashamed of writing their name on what I had produced on that bright white piece of paper. 

I walk back towards the tray sheepishly to ask for my paper back. I hope I can still wri- “Sorry but you cannot do anymore after turning it in.” It was like the teacher had been reading my mind for the past few seconds; I guess my emotions are that readable. Being caught off guard and rejected in the middle of a full classroom is something only found in nightmares. I do the walk of shame back to my seat in the corner, eyes following me, wanting for the class period to be over. Multiple thoughts went through my mind to cope with my anger towards myself and the teacher’s rules. I’ll just wait until the bell rings to ask about how to make this terrible situation better. As a perfectionist, I could not stand with this conclusion as it would eat me alive. I learned that double checking and putting my best self out there is very important. 

“BING BING.” 

I get up from my desk and I walk with purpose towards the teacher’s desk. With every step, more anxiety and nervousness rush over me. I shouldn’t be nervous but I can’t help it sometimes. I stand in front of the teacher like they are the final boss of a game. “So um, when  could I possibly retake this test if I can? I feel stupid for turning in the work I have done.” My teacher expresses a sorry look on their face, probably knowing that this was the last test. “Well you can either come here after school today or Monday. Since it is the last test, I will give you the same test and not a different one for retakes.” I felt the big release of stress and I will forever be in debt to that teacher. “Ok, I will do it Monday because I have something to do today anyways… Thank you!” Strutting out of the classroom, I felt like I just survived a tornado of bad luck. But it was never bad luck in the first place, only apathy.

This occurred during this school year because I am a Senior about to graduate. I've had a lot of apathy this school year.