I'm his | Teen Ink

I'm his

January 3, 2023
By AvaAlbright SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
AvaAlbright SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I asked him, “If I was a princess, who would I be?”, his response to that was Belle. “She is so kind to the beast when he’s at his worst. Just like how you’re the most amazing and kind person in the entire world. You care about people and animals, and you treat everyone the same no matter what”. His response was genuine, it made me smile from ear to ear. Who would’ve ever thought that I’d become this lucky to end up with him. 

Rewind almost a year, to September 24, 2021. When I was a junior in high school, I was interested in joining my school’s student government again. I never could’ve imagined walking into room w19, that I’d be walking out with my eyes set on the most amazing guy ever. As soon as I sat down in the fourth seat of the last row of desks and catching up with a few friends, it was time to stand up again. “Good morning Wildcats, please stand for the pledge of allegiance”. After listening to the rest of the announcements for the day, the teacher quiets everyone down, “alright everybody, the vice president of student council will be coming in a few minutes, he was just at another meeting.” Five minutes go by and this tall, brown-haired, brown-eyed guy walks through the doorway. He introduces himself as the vice president of the student council, he says that he is a senior, he goes over some of his duties, and then he goes over some of his hobbies and interests. I thought to myself, “there’s no way I could be more interested in him as I am right now”, well turns out, I was wrong about that. On the board, he pulls up two pictures, one was him standing next to an airplane, the other was him in a blue button-up shirt. He went over some of his hobbies and interests, and there were a few that stood out to me, “In my free time, I like to golf. In fact, I am on the boys golf team for west. I also love airplanes, I’ve always been interested in aviation” and he goes on to say he is a student pilot at a flight school in Oshkosh. I was speechless. As I was sitting there in awe of this man, he goes on to list the many other clubs he is an active member/leader of: Rotary club as the community liaison, Let’s vote Wisconsin as the state head, The Green Alarm, and he was also the vice president of region 3 of Wisconsin’s student council. I had never found such interest in a person before. After he finished introducing himself, we moved on to an activity. This activity consisted of him asking us all questions about our personalities and hobbies. After he finished asking those questions, he wrote four colors on the white board. With those colors, he matched out answers, and you were then matched with the color you had the most answers under. At this point, I knew we were similar; after all, we had a lot in common interests-wise. But it really began to hit me that I was meant to see this guy when he and I were the only two people in the classroom that were matched with the color orange. After realizing that, I had a huge smile on my face and I kept asking myself “if I got to know him more, could this go somewhere?”although I never wanted to get my hopes up, because who knows what could happen. “Alright there is about two minutes left of the hour, so I am gonna end it by saying make sure you all apply for student council this year!” As I said before, I had no idea that I’d be walking out with my eyes set on this amazing guy, who I know I want to spend more time with and get to know better. It was that day that I became a firm believer in “everything happens for a reason”, I wasn’t even going to sign up for the introduction meeting, I was gonna go to a different room with my friends. All because of a last minute decision at 11:00pm the night before, I found who I thought was the guy for me.

One year later and we’ve been together for almost 9 months. I’ve looked back on that day so many times throughout the past year: how I wouldn’t change a thing about it, how I truly am so lucky to have came across him that day, and how I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us, all while keeping in mind the thing that I realized a year ago and continue to use as a guide for my life: “everything happens for a reason”. After countless trips together all around Wisconsin, Chicago, and a trip to Florida, all I can look forward to are more trips together around the world, hopefully someday in our own plane, and making countless more memories to look back on someday like I look back on this one.


The author's comments:

This piece is a personal experience.