The Butter Burger | Teen Ink

The Butter Burger

December 13, 2022
By tripp_walsh SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
tripp_walsh SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was summer of 2015 and I was with my dad after basketball practice, and I was starving. I want to go out to eat, but I am tired of eating the same stuff from the same fast food restaurants. I want something different. Lucky for me, my dad has a suggestion. 

“Let’s try Culver’s,” he says. “I have heard they have really good burgers.” 

I was reluctant at first because I have never heard of this place, but I finally agreed. We pull into the parking lot and walk into the crowded dining room full of kids and their parents sharing smiles and enjoying what I thought was ice cream, but what is actually frozen custard. Banners and jerseys of our local high school are hung on the walls, and framed pictures of our communities fire and police department accompany them. 

I wait at the back of the line and stare up at the menu filled with countless different food items and desserts, but one catches my eye: The Butter Burger. The “pressed-and-seared fresh, never frozen beef” patty in between two buns and fresh toppings was calling my name. Additionally, it came with a side of fries and a drink, but as I looked around, I wasn’t sure if I wanted a drink. I glanced at the dessert menu and the chocolate malt stood out to me. My order was complete, so we got our number and found a booth to sit down. 

I sat in anticipation waiting for the food to come out. A man dressed in a blue apron and a Culver’s hat walked our way with a tray full of food. When he set it down, the sight was something I will never forget. There sat a perfectly made burger, and next to it were fries with smoke rising from them after being freshly made. In the corner of the tray was my malt. The thick brown concentration filled to the brim of the cup was cold to the touch and everything I was looking for on the warm summer day. The preparation had me sold, but was the food really that good?

Before I knew it, the food was gone. The last bite was just as good as the first, and every sip of the malt satisfied my taste buds. When we finally got home, I was eager to tell everyone I knew about my amazing first experience at Culver’s. 

As the years have gone on, I still go to Culver’s. I still crave that delicious burger and am always satisfied by the delicious chocolate malt. Being there with my friends always brings me so much joy and there is no other place I would rather go if I need a quick bite to eat. Every experience there is just as good as the first, and somehow, after all these years, it never gets old. I am forever grateful I came across Culver’s.