What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

November 4, 2022
By mollyj5 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
mollyj5 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With my birthday being the 5th of July, I celebrate with the American flag. Ever since I was born, I have always had my birthday party on the 4th of July. The busiest day of the year was the 4th of July. We would wake up and put on all of our red, white, and blue clothes for the day. We would walk into town early so we could get good spots for the parade. The first thing we see in the parade is the American flag directing everyone. 

After the parade, we head home and start setting up for my birthday party. I am in charge of the flags. I put them on our deck and then put a row of them on our shoreline for all of the boats to see as they pass. My mom is in charge of the food, every year she makes an American flag dessert out of blueberries, strawberries, and marshmallows. I always look forward to dessert.

To end the night, we go out on our boat to watch fireworks. There is a restaurant on our lake that puts on a firework show every year. Before they start there is a boat parade where boats decorate with as much patriotic stuff as they can find. There are some with giant American flags, “The Star-Spangled Banner” playing, and some with people dressed up with as much American clothes as you can dancing. There are all different outfits that you can imagine like face paint, colored hair, and sparklers. All the things you can imagine are there. The first and last fireworks are symbolic of the 4th of July. The first one is red, white, and blue and then the last one is a red heart. 

The 4th of July is my favorite day of the year because of all of the celebrations that our country does to thank the soldiers for all that they have fought for. It is the best day to lead into your birthday. I get to have multiple days of celebrations from celebrating our country to celebrating my birthday.