Wash Away | Teen Ink

Wash Away

By leahs11 BRONZE, New City, New York
leahs11 BRONZE, New City, New York

I am driving home after a long night of dance classes, not listening to the music on the radio or the words that my mom is speaking to me. All I can hear is the pitter-patter pattern of the raindrops trickling down the roof of the car. I am entranced by this innate musicality in such a way that I can even taste the freshness; the natural feeling of when you are a kid and just stand outside with your mouth open, welcoming in the water, blissfully unaware of any troubles the world may hold. After that car ride, I sit outside and simply allow the rain to immerse me in all of its glory.

Rain is the anti-hero of all types of weather. This negative connotation of rain is something that is established since childhood. Rain would prohibit me from going to the playground, or taking part in a game of soccer. I would blame the rain for these issues, and just stay inside thinking I had nothing better to do. However, I neglected that I could still enjoy these activities in the current weather. Some of my fondest childhood memories include slipping in patches of mud while trying to kick a soccer ball, or sliding down the slide in record time due to how slippery it was. When I look back at those experiences, the one thing I wish to relive is the moment when I let go. Where I stopped worrying about how the water would stain my shirt, or mess up my hair. Instead, I embraced the rain. I embraced the feeling of freedom, and let any troubles I had wash away with the water. It is like the world stops, even for just a moment, and all the puzzle pieces scattered across the utter chaos we call life suddenly fit perfectly. How can I establish my place in this world, and not wash away like the rain? 

Sometimes I feel like I am this rain drop, this one, insignificant puzzle piece in the world. However, without that one piece the puzzle would not be complete. Everyone is important, and deserve a place in this world. They do not deserve to wash away like a raindrop.