Name Piece | Teen Ink

Name Piece

By 3Henson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3Henson BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Connor is the color yellow, the color of the basking, golden rays poking through the thick canopy of trees overhead, as I walk those deep forest trails, like tunnels of verdant fur, known by many the wandering feet of men and animal alike, but at this moment, only known to me—my own personal eden of solitude. 

Connor is the sound of those distant birds chirping in the warm evening, uncaring of responsibilities, uncaring of the oh-so-loud and claustrophobic modern world. 

Or, it could be none of those things, I could be making it all up, who knows.

I would be dishonest if I spoke at length about my name being this force that influences who I am as a person, or as all the wonderful descriptors (as I did above), because in all honesty, I have no real sentimental attachment to my name. Connor is simply the word people know me as, and the word to call me.

When I think of it, which I normally wouldn't do unless prodded, no colors, or feelings (except for sarcastic descriptions meant to divert expectations) are conjured into my mind but the objective meanings and connections it has with others of the same name.

Did you know Connor means lover of hounds? And even with how vague and broadly applying that meaning is, it's still not even entirely accurate to me, because although I love dogs as much as the next person, I still prefer cats.
And speaking of broadly applying, Connor is one of the most common boys' names today, ranking 97th out of 1000. If you need real life proof of how common the name Connor is among boys my age, at my relatively small middle school there were 3 kids including myself sharing it in my grade alone, and I believe there were even a few others in the grades below as well.

Despite my cynical ramblings, there is actually one semi-interesting story that goes along with my name. 

My dad's favorite movie used to be Highlander, it's an old cheesy fantasy movie from the 80s about these immortal warriors that could only be killed from decapitation by another immortal, and they fought through the centuries until only 1 remained. But the aspect that is important is the protagonist, a scottish highlander named Connor Macleod of Clan Macleod, the character I'm named after. 

I know why I'm named after him. It's not because he hoped for me to be as brave, or as strong as him, or any of those other traits commonly associated with fantasy heroes, it's simply because it was his favorite movie, and Connor was the name of the protagonist.

So, in conclusion, I don't think my name fits me or doesn’t fit me, because I just don't care.