Barbie Dolls and Basketballs | Teen Ink

Barbie Dolls and Basketballs

October 8, 2022
By JuliaMarell BRONZE, Short Hills, New Jersey
JuliaMarell BRONZE, Short Hills, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am the youngest of three children and the only girl. So yeah, I grew up with some Barbie dolls, but also toy cars, soccer balls, and lots of wrestling matches. The wrestling matches often ended with me caked in dirt or rubbing a few new bruises, but I loved them nonetheless. 

There wasn’t much of a distinction between what was “for girls” and “for boys” in my home. Now that I'm 18, I have come to appreciate this neutrality much more. I was able to explore everything I was interested in growing up. I danced, I played soccer and basketball, I did gymnastics, I caught frogs in the backyard, and I sang at the top of my lungs. And the rough housing from my brothers only landed me in the hospital once. In my opinion, that’s a win. 

I love my brothers more than anything and will be forever grateful for everything they have taught me. My oldest brother, Max, is 24. Not only did he teach me how to shoot a basketball, but he has also taught me the importance of taking a step back from a stressful situation, centering myself through meditation and yoga, and to never forget to make time for me. My middle brother, Spencer, is 22. He taught me how to hold my breath underwater for 45 seconds and he showed me how to look for the positive in everything–to laugh at myself when I fall down in front of a crowd (even when it is only because he tripped me), and to view the glass not just as half-full, but overflowing. 

I don’t fit the classic “girly” stereotype. I don’t wear much makeup, I always make my friends style my hair, and I’m not a fan of dresses or heels. I do know how to be myself and advocate for what I believe is right. I am confident in my opinions, and I have learned to be strong and outspoken. And in my opinion, there’s nothing “girly” about that.  


The author's comments:

This piece about my family shows how my role as the youngest and only girl has shaped my identity