Day of Kindness | Teen Ink

Day of Kindness

By TannerH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
TannerH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

I am blessed to grow up in a family where I was taught how to show appreciation to those I care about. I have never been the best at expressing my thanks; however, on May 14, 2021, I was able to express my gratitude to my mother.

I planned the day out a week in advance, thinking of items within my small budget that would mean the most to her. I knew I wanted to give her flowers, but the most basic gift wouldn’t come close to how much she had done for me. I wanted to make my gifts personal to her to show that I put a lot of effort and thought into them. I had approximately three dollars to spend after the large bouquet. What could come of three measly dollars I thought. Then I remembered her favorite candy, Snickers. 

I had all of my gifts picked out, but I had to figure out how to get the gifts secretly and give them to her. While this thought was brewing in my mind, my best friend invited me over to his house the night before mothers day. Perfect.

My execution was unmatched, everything went according to plan. I awoke at my friend's house and immediately went to Sendiks, who have some of the best flowers; got the Snickers, gathered my card, and headed back home.

I burst through the door with embarrassment. I saw my brother's spectacular flowers on the counter, tagged with his name. He lives in Texas?! How did he pull this off I thought. But before I could hold my head down in defeat I saw my mother and lit up with excitement to show her my gifts. The smile and joy in her eyes made my day, my week, my month. She thanked me with total gratitude and told me 

“you didn’t have to do all this”

and with a big smile, I responded, 

“Happy Mothers Day.”