Essay Contest: Change of Scenery Change of Perspective | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Change of Scenery Change of Perspective

By 3steinbauer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
3steinbauer GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I look around and see a different world. I am a 16 year old boy entering a new perspective of life. As I look around, at the beginning of my mission trip in Grand Rapids, Michigan, I realize I take many things for granted in Hartland, Wisconsin. 

“Let's get to work!” my group leader says as he unpacks the truck. On our mission trip our task is to repair residences of those in need. We are directed to paint houses, repair the skirting boards on trailer homes, and build wheelchair ramps for certain houses. 

We start by skirting trailer homes; yet, I (along with the rest of my group) have no prior experience skirting trailers. As I look around I see rust, mold, and withered pieces of trash littered around the trailer park. “I can’t imagine living like this,” I say, having been so accustomed to my life in Hartland. 

My team watches online tutorials and starts our skirting project. As we finish skirting the trailer home, we load up our supplies into the truck and set off for the high school in which we will be spending the next few nights. 

“It’s a very different world out there,” my church leader says as we get ready for bed on the first night. 

“I know. I feel like I take so much for granted in Hartland,” I respond, having seen a new way of living. 

The mission trip continues for the next five days and I along with my team construct new amenities and paint houses for those in need. When I arrive back in Hartland, Wisconsin, after a week of working within and acclimating to life in a trailer park, I look around and see a completely different world.

This is a submission for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest