What makes you special? | Teen Ink

What makes you special?

By reeuh BRONZE, Fullerton, California
reeuh BRONZE, Fullerton, California

A few years ago, my mom forced me to sign up for a Red Cross summer camp. I absolutely hated the idea of it at the time. I recall complaining and whining and throwing a fit. 

A few days after she had signed me up, she told me that there was an interview over Zoom. Obviously, I didn’t prepare for it and I went into the interview completely blind. 

“Why did you decide to apply for this program?”

I supposed it would be a great way to learn some leadership skills, and that it would force me to take a step out of my comfort zone.

“How did you come to learn about this program?”

My mom had told me about the program after learning about it from her friends and, although I didn’t want to join, it did seem pretty interesting. 

“What do you know about the Red Cross?”

To be honest, this question made my heart stop for a second. I knew that the Red Cross often set up blood drives at schools and other areas, but that was about it. Fortunately, I managed to salvage my answer by expressing my “desire” to learn more about the program.

“What is special about you?”

That question stumped me. I wasn’t sure why, because it was an extremely common question and I was expecting it. I even knew the obvious answer: “I’m smart, caring, responsible, hardworking, and I never give up.”

Oh, don’t get me wrong, that was exactly what I told the interviewer after a few awkward laughs.  Even now, I remember my mom panicking on the opposite side of the table and waving her hands around frantically.

But it didn’t feel right.

Since then, the question swirled in my head constantly. I couldn’t stop thinking about it because, in truth, I have no idea what makes me special.

After years of thinking and researching, the only conclusion I could come up with was that the question was faulty. 

Everyone is special and no one is. 

From the atoms and DNA that make each person to the experiences and ancestry behind each person, everybody is special; therefore, in essence, no one really is special.

**WARNING** 

This is not a sign for you to lecture your interviewer if you are asked this question. I am not responsible for any failed interviews!

ConnorKu SILVER, Yorba Linda, California
if everyone being special makes none special, just be that much more special
good luck with any future interviews!

connielee10809 BRONZE, Fullerton, California
I really like how you wrote this, it's as if you're talking to the readers, it's super easy to read and it's entertaining.

IreneKim SILVER, Fullerton, California
I really like the last line. It made me reevaluate my personal definition of "special"