Once Upon A Friendship | Teen Ink

Once Upon A Friendship

June 6, 2022
By Anonymous

Once upon a time there was this highschool student who never felt her place in the world. She would jump from friend to friend being backstabbed over pointless drama. Until one day she met a soul who was caring; understood what she had been through and had trauma of her own that no one in her past had understood. They would hang out everyday afterschool into the evening enjoying car rides, food, and laughs every moment. Until one day when her friend's prince charming came along; swept her off her feet and left her friend in the dust. All those memories had been ripped right out just like that. She felt as though she was back at square one where she spent most of her time just living and not caring or worrying. Yet this friendship hurt more. She felt like there was nothing left. She couldn’t stand being alone anymore. The quiet, cold, and intrusive thoughts filling her head as she tries to find joy in the little things like painting, reading, and binging cringy tv shows. Yet, nothing seemed to fill the whole that was dug. Until her phone rang. It was her best friend who she hadn’t talked to in a week. Her friend  consoled her about some problems arising with her prince which was exactly what she was afraid of. She didn’t want to hear about other people's problems because she felt people just created more for herself. Yet, the conversation began to shift. She started to explain her feelings of regret. She talked about leaving and how much she missed the long drives, fast food binges, and screaming songs at the top of our lungs. But most of all how much she missed the two of them together. She was hesitant to respond because she was used to people asking for forgiveness, yet the apologies never felt sincere until this one. Hesitant she accepted the apology. They continued to create new memories on top of existing ones and build their friendship even stronger in hopes of never losing each other again.   


The author's comments:

In this piece I choose to use irony, metaphor, and paradox as my stylisti Comment start c devices. For example irony is present in the piece when I talk about how she was always backstabbed for pointless drama and then towards the middle of the piece her friend leaves her. I used the metaphor in a way that makes this piece a fairytale by starting with “Once upon a time”. Lastly I used paradox because the main character she sees that her friend is gone and won’t come back yet her friend comes in contact with her and reveals to her that she really is sorry and doesn’t want to lose the friendship.