The 3 C's | Teen Ink

The 3 C's

“Did you remember to get your homework done on time, Elijah?” I was hoping my mom wouldn’t ask me that question, I never get anything done on time. “No, I didn’t get enough time to finish it.” That’s a lie, and she knew it was too. “Well you better apologize to your teacher and get it done.” By the time she said that I was out of the door, I was about to be late for the bus. That’s to be expected on a Monday morning though. 

Like every other day nothing exciting really happened during school. The only fun part was our physics teacher doing a pendulum demonstration. Now it was finally time for volleyball practice; something I’ve been looking forward to all day.

We started off just doing the typical drills you would expect. “Bump, set, and spike. That’s the order you want to strive for in the game.” Our coach also wanted to make sure we call the ball when it’s coming to us. He called them ‘The 3 C’s’. “Call. Commit. Complete. Call the ball, commit to the ball, and complete your action.” 

After practice, that really resonated with me. Something about ‘The 3 C’s’ seemed like they could apply to everything in life…  

Do you ever feel like completing a goal in life is difficult? Do you ever feel like Elijah and can’t get things done on time? Having your mind set on a goal is easy, but committing to it and completing that goal is where a lot of us fall short. We often think we have so much time to complete a task, and we put it off until later, but then later comes and it’s still not done. No matter what our goal is, whether it’s training to become a better volleyball player, completing your homework on time, or becoming the president of your school club, we have to call, commit, and complete our goals. How will you change your lifestyle so that you also call, commit, and complete your goals?