The life of an athlete | Teen Ink

The life of an athlete

February 1, 2022
By Anonymous

The life of an athlete is very busy. You spend almost every day improving on your sport between practice and lifting and things outside of practice. You go to school. You have to be there everyday and can't skip days while maintaining your grades at a certain standard to continue to play sports. Working makes it harder to work because you need money for sport fees or things you need or want for those sports. Going to school then practice right after and then work after practice is tough, it adds a lot of stress. There is no time for a social life or don't feel like doing anything with friends or family, you only feel like relaxing. You might lose connections with some friends when you're busy with sports and other priorities in life.


Being in sports keeps me out of trouble because if you get in trouble in school your coaches will find out or if you're in trouble outside of school or sports your coaches may find out too. Playing multiple sports will actually make you better and at some wrestling makes me better at football with coordination intensity and conditioning. It helps as a person because doing things as a team relies on working with other people. On the football field you have to work with others to win a game or on the wrestling mat you have to work with others to get yourself and your teammates better. In my opinion it builds character while showing who you are as a person whether you're a quiter or if you're selfish. People will give up during a match and lose a match because they're tired. Some football players will be selfish and mad if they don't get playing time or don't get the ball but won't show up to practices or workouts. 


Football is tough on your body. A Lot of the time you can recover within a couple of days if you are taking care of your body. From such things as bruising, soreness, slight things like that. but some things will take a while. A couple of things that happen often are broken bones, concussions and pulled muscles which take weeks or even months to heal. Wrestling on the other hand you may have dislocated joints, strained muscles here and there, it's not prone to happen often i've been wrestling since 8th grade and im in 10th grade now i've been to tons of tournaments and tri and duals and have only seen it twice because the ref can usually prevent it from happening . It's mostly just nose bleeds, sometimes black eyes and busted lips; those aren't too hateful. I've had a couple myself. I didn't notice them at the moment until I looked into the mirror or someone told me. 

I love both football and wrestling. I'm doing both all year around during the summer. I am mostly working on football, doing camps, practicing lifting weights, just doing things to get better. At the same time I'm going to open mats for wrestling. It's like wrestling practice. The only difference is it's not mandatory. I started playing football in the 5th grade. I played on the d line. I switched schools and moved to Shawnee middle school and high school. Middle school I decided to switch it up and played defensive end slot, wideout/tight end. I liked it there. High school came around. I played outside linebacker, receiver and I mostly played defense. I Lettered my freshman year. Then sophomore year I decided to switch it up and play on the dline got bigger and I was fast and quick for being on the line. I worked hard and proved to the coach that I was the one for that job. 

I led the team on defense which was good. I forget how many tackles I ended the season with but it was 40+. I also led the conference with sacks for a little bit and ended up ending the season with 10 plus sacks. Not all of them were counted on the stat records but I have film to prove it. I got second team in our conference which is pretty good for being a sophomore in my opinion. For this coming season I'm going to try to be an all-state player. Also i want to put on 20- 30lbs and get quicker, faster.

I talked about football a little bit now it's time for me to talk about wrestling. So I started late in the 8th grade because I didn't think I wanted to wrestle but I spent some time thinking about it then ended up doing it. It was tough. I didn't know much about wrestling. I lost some matches here and there but didn't do too bad for it being my first year. I placed 3rd at the CBC tournament. I ended up liking it a lot and realized it helped with football so I continued to wrestle. IN middle school I wrestled 170 weight class then freshman year 170 then dropped to 160 and that cut was really hard to do. I made the weight in about 1 week after the coach put me on a low carb. Low carb diets sometimes take your energy because carbs give you energy and once you dont take them in you feel very sluggish. It sucked cutting weight so for my sophomore year in wrestling 175lbs, I'm doing pretty good for myself this season right now my record is 25-5 which isn't too bad. I've placed 2nd at 4 tournaments and 1st one at tournaments this year. I would like to make it past districts so I qualify for state or place state. I would like to do that by junior or senior year.

That little bit about me and the sports I play I enjoy them alot but sometimes it's a lot to deal with. Being an athlete every one holds you to a higher standard than other people. I suggest playing sports or doing extra activities that you're interested in because it'll make you a better person and it'll help with stress sometimes doing things you like. 


The author's comments:

im 16 and play sports