Goodbye Dad. | Teen Ink

Goodbye Dad.

By mattyappleseed BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
mattyappleseed BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas

First and foremost I’d like to say I’m sorry to meet so many of you under such unfortunate circumstances. Despite the abruptness of my father’s passing, it brings me great consolation to be surrounded by so many people he held in approbation. With that being said, my dad was a good man. Even with sound eloquence I struggle to find words that encapsulate my father’s ineradicable capacity to brighten rooms, and with such little effort.

The quality of being genuine is hard to come by, but my dad was always the exception. Within a world of negligence and disdain, my father was a pedestal of optimism. Even throughout his battle with COPD, everyone he knew was familiarized with his persistence, work ethic, humor and confidence. However, nothing proved more evident than his dedication to fathering me and my three sisters. Everything he did was for us, and when it wasn’t, it was seldom for himself.

My dad was keen on helping others, regardless of it being in his own convenience. His country-driven morals could perhaps be overbearing to some, but were an unequivocal precedent to his hospitality for both his friends and family.

Whenever there was tribulation, there was perseverance. But none of it could have been possible had it not been  for his disallowance to falter. I am proud to have both observed and integrated his principles into my day to day life. He has made an impact on me and undoubtedly many others. I love you dad, we will all miss you greatly.

My father passed away on December 15, 2021. I gave this consolation speech atop the same pedestal as the pastor to my family and friends during the funeral service a week later.