My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By 3clarke BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
3clarke BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

By definition Ethan means strong, safe, solid, and firm. I actually think I match these traits pretty well. I am not really the creative, artistic type of person, I am not anything out of the ordinary, I am just a safe and solid person and strong in what I do.

I believe that everyone has an imaginary person in the head of what a ___ what looks like. I know that I do for sure. I even have an image of what an Ethan would look like. I often wonder what people think of for the name Ethan. I wonder if it looks like me, or something else. The Ethan in my head looks nothing like me at all, which I find interesting.

I actually have never really liked my name. Although it may contradict the first paragraph, I don’t really think it fits me that well. When you say Ethan it seems stressful and when you write it on paper it seems blocky. I have always wanted a J name, like Jason or Josh. I think it flows off the tongue better.

I think having a more exotic name would have been cool. Ethan was the most popular baby name in the year I was born. I don’t like that. I want my name to be somewhat original and have a connection to me. I don’t feel like I have a personal connection to my name, so many people share it.

In the end, I feel like my name is just there. I don’t hate it, don’t love it, but it’s there.

This piece is about my name and my thoughts about it.