2021 Kindness Contest: McDonalds | Teen Ink

2021 Kindness Contest: McDonalds

By hughsousa BRONZE, Lincoln, Rhode Island
hughsousa BRONZE, Lincoln, Rhode Island

I was in Mcdonald’s with a couple of friends when, from the corner of my eye, I saw a young-ish man walking to the almost empty McDonald’s. 

Time passed and no one came to the desk to take our order. “I was here earlier and no one ever came,” he told us. “I came for a drink and waited 10 minutes.” 

The man dressed was in an old ripped sweatshirt, his hair long and messy. We waited there, still annoyed at the fact no one had come to the desk. From the corner of my eye, I had seen the man sitting far back on the bench with his head pointed down and his eyes red. I tried not to stare as we approached the door to leave with our food.

“Hey,” the man said.  “I know it a lot, but I have two kids. We have no home and I don’t have enough money for any food, I don’t want money, but if you could buy them something it would mean a lot to me.” 

“Of course,” I told him. We waited forever once again and bought him two happy meals with the rest of the money we had. 

We sat to talk and we learned more about him and how he had a job but wasn’t getting paid till the end of the week. 

When he told us he had been staying behind the nearby Target, I felt very lucky to have a good family to take care of me. Whether or not he was telling the truth, it was still an act of kindness to help. 

He said this was the nicest anyone had ever done for him. Though this was a small act of kindness to me for him it was what he said to be the greatest kindness he has experienced.

I think I should win because 25 dollars is a great incentive for winning.