What My Name Means To Me | Teen Ink

What My Name Means To Me

By 3vermeulen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
3vermeulen GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Carli. Sharply pronounced as your tongue curls to finish it. Simple. Short and to the point, but definite and lasting. A name that... carries my reputation. Its importance is much more vast than when first heard. 

It means “free-woman”, someone not bound by the world, carefree. But ironically, I managed to get snagged in the hook of life, being pulled in all directions. Dragged through looming mountains of schoolwork and expectations, I stumble blindly away from being untroubled. 

“Why do you stress so much, Carli? Just take it easy. Enjoy life as it is.” A voice echoes.

To me, my future can not slack when things become tight. Instead, I push on harder than before because I can achieve anything if I grind enough. Persistence and grit will make the cut.

Hard work will transform my name into what I want it to become. Chasing dreams and pursuing passions motivates in the long, hard nights. Knowing one day sweatpants in a bedroom will turn into scrubs in a hospital. My name will care for names that are at their lowest. My name will cheer for names that leave fully well. It will be my career and life.

When I submit work, my name follows. When I meet someone new, my name follows. And when I am asked to define myself, my name follows. My name has meaning and is who I am. Short, simple, and carefree.

This short essay talks about how my name defines who I am and who I want to become one day. I hope to become a sports medicine physician. This essay talks about how my name is my reputation and something that sticks with me for life.