Love At First Sight | Teen Ink

Love At First Sight

By Maddie2022 BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
Maddie2022 BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky

I met John when I was 13. He was 15 and a freshman in high school. I had never seen him before, but when I walked into the church gym that day, I knew he’d change my life. People don’t believe in love at first sight, and I didn’t either. Until I saw him. He gave me butterflies and made me so nervous. I couldn’t stop staring, and he noticed. He smiled and waved. I was in love, and I knew he was the one for me. We became good friends, but I was so nervous that I couldn’t tell him how I felt.
One day I came to church, and I was so excited to see him. I got there and saw him with another girl from our church. He was with someone else, I was crushed, so I went home and cried. My heart was broken. They were together for a while, somehow I got over it. I didn’t talk to him anymore. I just moved on. He stopped coming to church, and I wondered why. I found out that they had broken up. In January of 2018, we went on a church trip. I started talking to him again. We started hanging out and getting to know each other.
He talked to my father, and then on April 22, 2018, we started dating. We were together until sometime in September. I wanted to take a break because he acted as if he didn’t care about us anymore. We didn’t talk for a month and a half. His birthday came around, and I bought him a gift. I took it to him, and before I left, he hugged me. I missed being in his arms. About a month later, he talked to my father again. On my birthday, in November, he came over, and we got back together. He kissed me that night, and I knew that I loved him. Christmas came around, and he stopped talking to me. I was heartbroken again.
In January 2019, he broke up with me while I was at school. I didn’t cry until I got home. We didn’t talk for months. I missed him so much, but I didn’t ask him to come back. I knew I wasn’t who he wanted to be with anymore. I found out he had another girlfriend in June. Our church went on another trip in July. We talked a lot on that trip. I still missed him, and I still loved him, but he was with someone new. I kept my distance because I didn’t want to get hurt again. When we got home from the trip, we didn’t talk again. He stopped coming to church, so I just moved on. In 2020, he graduated high school, and he moved in with her. They were even engaged.
After we had been broken up for about a year and a half, I started dating again. I met Jake at church camp, and I liked him, but we broke up in July of 2020. I dated a few other people until March of 2021 until I had a life-changing experience. I didn’t date for several months after March. I started going back to church in June of 2021. Cade came home from college. He was John's best friend. We started talking, and I really liked him. After Cade and I had talked for a few weeks, I found out John was moving back home. I found out that he and his girlfriend had broken up. I hadn’t seen him for a long time. When he came home, I worried I would have the same feelings for him. He started coming to church again. We didn’t talk much because I was still with Cade.
On August 14, 2021, I broke up with Cade. Then on Wednesday, Aug 18, 2021, I started talking to John again. We went to a football game on a Friday night. We talked about everything that had happened to us over those two years we weren’t together. He apologized for leaving me. He told me that he had missed me. We still had feelings for each other. We have been inseparable ever since that game. We went on our first date on August 27. We have talked for about 6 weeks now. This past weekend I told him that I loved him, and he asked me to be his girlfriend again. We started dating again on September 25, 2021.
I didn’t believe in love at first sight. I didn’t believe in soul mates or fate, but I know he is the one for me. No matter what has happened between us, we have always found our way back to each other. Some may think it’s stupid that I am back with him, but I would say that you don’t know him as I do. I don’t know what it is about him that makes me love him, but something keeps making me come back. I believe that a higher power has had their hand in our meeting. Whether it be fate or God. He will always be the one for me.

This is a true story about the guy that I am with now. We are back together and we are doing really good. I'm extremely happy with him. I changed the names to keep them private.