Unmasking Beauty | Teen Ink

Unmasking Beauty

By Khushi_M BRONZE, Noida, Other
Khushi_M BRONZE, Noida, Other
1 article 1 photo 5 comments

I want to write a novel about silence. The things people don't say .....

Our new school session started two weeks ago with a surprising announcement that most of us - the students - did not like. We had to attend the online classes with our cameras turned on, and we had to wear our school uniforms! A week passed by and slowly we got accustomed to the new habit. But one day in our class, a student asked the teacher to turn on her camera. Even though she switched on her camera, but only we knowhow much effort it took from us - the students - to convince our teacher!

Later that day, I wondered why many of us hesitate to show our faces during online meetings? Is it because we have been given an option to hide ourselves or is it that our mind tells us that we are not looking good enough to be on camera?

I believe when we are at home, all of us reflect our true selves; some without makeup and some wearing shirts with pyjamas.  Is that why we think twice before switching on our camera? Is it a fear of revealing our true identity that comes in our way?

Perhaps the greatest risk in life is indeed to be seen as how we truly are and not how we try to look with the help of artificial things. This makes me question what is the real meaning of beauty? Is it necessary that when we turn on our cameras, we need to look perfect (that is, beautiful)?

This leaves me clueless on what is perfection??

Incidentally, the same day, I saw some pictures of my grandmother's college time. Looking at her photographs and her real self, standing beside me, I fathomed how every face would age and how every 'body' would change, but the only thing that would remain shall be the aura of a beautiful soul!

What describes us is not our face but the light of our heart - the way we deal with others, the way we empathize, the way we connect, and the way we think!

Be it our complexion, be it our figure - what remains of us is our splendor, deep down inside! So, why hesitate in showing our true faces? 

I remember one of my teachers saying that we should be proud of who we are and how we look; if each one of us was the same ideal and perfect individual, then how would the identities be unique?

Let us not be afraid of being different, rather be afraid of being the same!!So next time when you wish to examine your beauty, do not go in front of a mirror but just sit, close your eyes, and ask yourself 

"If the whole world was blind, how many people would you impress?"

Hi there . What can I say about myself ? Well, I am a simple person ... an aspiring writer, who loves traveling while listening to music, a big fan of literature and an amateur photographer using a smartphone.

I spend my whole day thinking, not as an over-thinker but rather a 'deep-thinker' because well

" I have a deeply hidden and inarticulate desire for something beyond the daily life meaning "