The Trial of the Tetons | Teen Ink

The Trial of the Tetons

April 6, 2021
By Lucyoechsner BRONZE, Muskego, Wisconsin
Lucyoechsner BRONZE, Muskego, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You are a human being, not a human doing, you are of infinite worth just being” - anonymous


 

My boot sunk into the worn mud as I walked to the trailhead, the frigid Wyoming air of the summer morning waking me up as reality set in. On my neck, a bell and bear whistle rattled around, calling out to the endless woods that we had arrived. Immediately my anxiety rushed in with aggressive force like Yellowstone's treacherous rivers as I took my first steps into the eerie green woods. My adrenaline fed off the potential danger, causing the world to spin in a whirl of earthy colors above me. The tree line appeared nonexistent as if it was infinite. Nature looked glossed over like shiny paintings in a gallery. The moss contradicted with the burnt wood of the trees, creating a collage of colors. The clouds hung suspended in the air like a floating blanket as we began our trek. 

Our goal: reach ten thousand feet. Ten thousand feet might not be much to an experienced hiker, but it was completely new for us. Splashing on our boots, the water flowed from the creek: perfectly clear, untouched, and pristine. The random summer snow patches seemed like they came out of a winter's dream. Into the foreign summer snow, I pressed my hand. I giggled at how peculiar it was. The further we climbed the more marvelous snow I saw. The ground was rugged and steep, each step took a new burst of energy and perseverance to conquer. I kept my head down letting the trail pass under my feet, stopping every now and then to look up.

  Despite the breathtaking scenery, I was scared to death. My sister and I shared the same idea, at one point we both pleaded as we teetered on the ledge of our fragile emotions

 “Can we please go down, we’ve been hiking for so long and the tree line doesn't stop any time soon!” and my dad, a man who loves wildlife, quickly and sternly replied

  “No, come on there's only a mile or two left and I haven't seen any bighorn sheep.” A few minutes later we could hear the distant beckoning sounds of the bighorn sheep, which only made him more fixed to find them. 

After every moment that passed I became increasingly more agitated, the cold, twirling wind blasted against my skin. My legs seemed to weigh one million pounds. They were drenched with agony like a ship in a ruthless sea storm. All I could think was “Just another hundred feet, just another hundred feet''. The walk was grueling, constant uphill. We had to stop at least every one hundred feet or so to recuperate ourselves: the altitude changes had started to take a toll on all of us. My brother and sister quickly became ill. The trail was grueling mountainous terrain waiting to be conquered. 

While walking up the mountain, we passed a few people who gave us directions. We had stopped to ask them a few questions. Their faces looked worn and tired but strangely happy, like old books on a shelf filled with joy. The man with a scholarly British accent told us kindly that the clouds laid over the peak and that summiting wouldn't be worth it. Some parts of the trail made me remember we were not the only ones, two shiny little snowmen sat on a patch of summer snow which made us all a little happier. Knowing that it would be practically impossible to summit did not aid my worries. My sister and I tried to beg and convince our parents again to let us go down, she was sick and we were on the verge of tears. But my family kept trudging on. 

As I broke past the maze of emerald forest I looked ahead, all I could see was the vast picturesque scene of snow and rock. When I looked behind me it was the masterpiece of the whole journey. The trees were behind me and in front of me were endless miles of mountains. We stood at the top hypnotized, I was overtaken with amazement as we laughed and took a moment to look at our accomplishment. That was the moment I felt at peace, no frightening animals living atop the mountain. Nobody was there to bother us. No legitimate reason to panic. I felt like a rainstorm of anxiety had finally dried up and all my worry was gone. We all realized that we weren’t far from the top. I went to check the altitude and it was around nine thousand six hundred feet. we had practically made it. My smile as wide as can be, making the muscles at the side of my face tight and sore. The crisp crystal clean air reached my lungs as I listened to the cheerful chattering echoing into the mountain. The walk down was easy, knowing that the end was near.

 That hike took me out of my comfort zone, it made me frightened, it made me feel like I was walking on air, and it made me realize that the struggle was worth it. Climbing that mountain made me glad that I took those steps and took on the challenge. All the fear and worry that had built up inside me led to the most splendid scenery. Facing that challenge made me realize that I could accomplish things I had no idea I could do. And that when I face those obstacles, I will have people supporting me.


The author's comments:

Last summer, I went on a trip to Yellowstone National Park with my family. This piece is about conquering my fears of walking alongside frightening wildlife and uncertainty.