Beast Slayer | Teen Ink

Beast Slayer

By BreckinOlive BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
BreckinOlive BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

TIKTIKTIKTIKTIKTIK...brueeeeeemp! My body jolts forward as my body and heart stop. Time itself stands still before me as I hear nothing but utter silence. Then with the slightest click of the chain, I am whipped straight back in my seat as the car struts up the 200ft tall mountain. My mind and body race while I am slowly dragged higher and higher knowing my doom is inevitable. My sweaty palms clench the stiff foam bar like it’s the only thing keeping me afloat in the middle of a raging sea. I pinch my eyes shut as the Beast crawls up the hill, blocking out the faint screams of other riders, but I am trapped in my fear. I glance at my friend Chance who seems to have no care in the world. 

“Bro don’t look down!” He taunts. I try to keep that thought from entering my mind but my curiosity got the better of me. I slowly inch my body over the side of the car and look down at the steaming paved road that seemed miles away from me. I can’t do this! I thought. I’ve never been this high! Just as I look up I am face to face with the big bold letters written on the dark oak sign. DO NOT STAND UP, I read. KEEP HANDS INSIDE CAR. I realized there was no chain lift to pull me up anymore and the only thing that stood between me and the ground was the dreaded drop. Suddenly the Beast slowly catches speed, then without warning roars down the hill as we plummet for what seems to be forever while my sweaty palms clench on the handlebar. My eyes shoot out of my head as my mouth is pried open by the utter terror before me. I feel as my stomach begins to dive down through the soles of my shoes while I struggle to hold myself in. The beast then screeches through the old wooden tunnel where we enter utter darkness until we breach the surface revealing the bright outdoor light. I glance over at Chance while my tears roll down past my ears. 

“Holy smokes!” He screams.

“Dude that was insane!” I yell.

We laugh as we look back at the 200ft tall mountain of a hill we just conquered. I realized that this whole time I was walking into this with fear and anxiety when I should’ve run to it with hope. The beast then commandeers us through the tall lanky forest, through twists and turns, through tunnels and dips. It crests the trees with utter grace hitting every turn with aggressive force and swift transitions like Pelé dribbling down the soccer pitch with only his wits and dedication to drive him. As the beast crests its final turn it dips down into the station where it left off. I sat up straight in my seat with utter excitement as I finally did what I longed to do for a while now. 

“How was it, man?” Chance says. 

“That was alright,” I say with a big grin on my face. 

“Yeah did y'all hear that my boy rode the beast everyone!” Max screams from the back car. I laugh as I realize that after all these years I had nothing to fear except my own standards. I then exited the station with the sword of my courage shining brighter than the brightest star with the beast’s head in the other hand for I was the knight in shining armor, who slayed the Beast.

This piece I wrote helps vividly capture one of the greatest experiences of my life so far that brought me out of a terrible phase and into a new one that made me a much happier person overall.