The Click That Told Me | Teen Ink

The Click That Told Me

By milesn BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
milesn BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

My legs dragged me around my house bored, and mopey like how a sloth might carry itself around. What would the rest of the day bring? I'm not sure. The clouds were the color of the walls in my house, gray. I don't like the color gray, and I most certainly don't like dreary weather. Unfortunately, it was just so today. Most people around my age had hobbies, things to do and busy lives. I don't have anything to look forward to or be happy about; the days were the same. I, plain and simple, had nothing to do. School kept me busy, but I didn't participate in any sports or extracurricular activities. It was just the same thing everyday.

Nonchalantly, I walk down the stairs to my basement where I'm sure to find something to preoccupy me whilst my parents are busy. I venture to the unfinished part of my basement where we keep all of our storage trying to pretend I'm going through a maze to get there. I hope it could be something to help not be as bored. I hate the feeling of not doing anything. It annoys me to death and even worse, haunts me. I feel useless and not worthy of anything for that matter. As I walk through the doorway, the air changes. I lick my lips and taste salt from the chicken noodle soup I had just consumed for lunch. I'm sure I won't find anything to keep me busy, I think. A large bushy evergreen tree stands to my left. I rotate my head to examine the tree, but before I lock eyes with the tree, something glistens on the bottom shelf of a storage rack. Forgetting about the green tree, I walk over to the box where the glisten came from. This time I walk with posture. I remove the box from the shelf and find a black box. I know this thing, I think. It's the computer my dad used to file his taxes on, but has since been replaced by modern technology. Then I insert my small, frail fingers under the latch to take off the cover. Upon opening it, it's like I had been hit with a gust of air. There were ridges, wires, and components. It's like putting your hand into the mystery bag, anything could come out and you'd have no idea. Everything struck me as interesting, like you'd be shocked if you were struck by lighting. I was there for over an hour simply removing, reinserting, and touching components. It was exhilarating, something new around every corner. Some might call it laborious, but I thought it was magnificent to say the least.

“It's time to get ready for dinner, bud.” my dad said as he came around the corner. 

I look over at him like he was crazy for suggesting it's time for dinner. He was in fact, right, though. I didn't even realize that I had spent so much time just sitting there with the outdated, worn computer. As I lifted the machine into the box I almost dropped it when I had this sudden realization. While I was examining it I didn't have a care in the world and that's all I was focused on. They say, “The Grinch's heart grew 3 sizes that day.” I say, “A click happened in my head that day.” I no longer wanted to put the computer away. I wanted 100 more of them. I didn't feel like I had nothing to do, I felt exasperated! I realized I had a purpose in this world and there must be something for everyone. Everything looked different to me after that, I was able to see a clear purpose.

I walked back through the doorway I entered through. When I licked my lips this time, there was no salt. After my realization I felt like I belonged somewhere. I didn't want to go to dinner; I wanted to keep enjoying the new component I saw around every

corner in the computer. I wanted the exhilarating, overwhelming beauty. I no longer felt like everyday was the same. I could feel a purpose in my soul, a burning purpose.