My Worst Nightmare | Teen Ink

My Worst Nightmare

May 15, 2019
By GledisG GOLD, Tirana, Other
GledisG GOLD, Tirana, Other
15 articles 0 photos 12 comments

There is only one thing that I am truly scared of- snakes. The reason to my fear is from some events that happened to me as a kid. The main one was when I watched a movie with snakes in it. It was just a 5 year old version of me and my mom all home alone watching a movie. There was a woman who wanted to escape from her village. At the gate, there was an armed guard. The woman couldn’t fight the guard on her own and she needed a plan to distract him. She saw a cobra near her. She grabbed it and threw it at the guard. The snake landed on him and biting him on his face. I immediately ran to my room because that scared me a lot. That scared me a lot to the point where I couldn’t sleep. There is only one thing that was scarier than both of these movies, a nightmare I had .

It was a busy day at school and I was very tired by the time I got home. I had a lot of homework to do. It took me about 3 hours to do all my homework. It was 9 A.M when I was done with all my homework. I was pretty exhausted and decided to go to sleep.

I woke up. I was in my room, but it looked darker than normal. I wanted to check the time, but I didn't have my watch on. I couldn’t find my watch nor my phone anywhere. I started hearing a “psst” sound. It gave me chills. I turned immediately to see where the sound was coming from. I turned around and could see inside my brothers room. There was a slithery, long creature staring at me with its creepy eyes. It had its tongue out, moving. I was very terrified. The creature rushed towards me, that’s where I saw that the creature was a snake.

Out of nowhere, I was teleported into a whole different place. The place was dark but I still could see. The empty room was pretty large and the snake was still coming towards me. I started to run but the snake was faster and it tackled me. As I was on the ground, another snake appeared in front of me and it managed to bit me on my face. As soon as that happened, I went into a different location, again.

The place where I was teleported was my house. I was teleported in the hallway, where an anaconda was following me. I ran, and ran and ran. After a while of just running, I managed to lose the anaconda. After that, I went to drink some water. Once I opened my fridge, three green snakes fell down. I tried to scream for help but I couldn’t. I started to run towards my door to get out of the house. Even though the door was right in front of me, I still couldn't get there. It looked like as the hallway had an infinite length. When I turned around, the snakes were gone. Because of that, I decided to go to my room. As soon as I opened the door, there was this massive, green snake who had taken up all my room. He had yellow eyes and his tongue was sticking out.

As soon as he attacked me, I immediately woke up and realized it was just a dream. I was sweating a lot. I looked at my hand and I had my watch on. It was 7 A.M. Since I had to go to the bathroom I stood up. I was trembling. I went to the bathroom and was really scared because I thought a snake would appear out of nowhere. I was sweating a lot and decided to take a bath. Later that day, my brothers woke up. I told them about my dream and how I was scared because a snake might appear. They just looked at each other and started laughing. I just stood up and went to my room to play some games on my laptop. When I was there I heard a psst. I turned around in fear. There I just saw my brother who had connected his phone to a speaker and played a snake sound.

“Are you serious?” I said in an annoyed voice.

He didn’t respond he just left while laughing as hard as he could.

“I will get you back,” I shouted.

He came back to my room and said:

“Good luck, you’re going to need that.”

I never managed to get my brother back because I couldn’t think of anything to do. To this day, I am still scared of snakes, and probably more than when I was a kid. Everytime someone starts talking about snakes and their experiences, I try my best not to listen because they will be describing the event with details, which that alone scares me. Let’s not even talk about when people show me a picture of a snake just so they can see me get sacred. Everytime someone does that, I look away, but most of the time I smack their phones of their hand. When me and my friends are out and it’s late at night, they will start shouting there is a snake. Even though I know it isn’t true, I still look behind just to make sure.

From all of this, I came to the conclusion that I have Ophidiophobia. Ophidiophobia, as you probably already guessed it, is the fear of snakes. Overcoming this phobia is very difficult for me because it requires seeing videos and pictures of snakes and sometimes even staying with one. Talking about snakes makes me uncomfortable, let alone seeing a picture or even staying with one. Many people find it funny or even dumb due to the fact that I have never seen a snake before, which I am glad I haven't. However, if I’m ever going to overcome my fear, I might have to experience handling a snake...but let's not get carried away because at the moment I’m ok with my ophidiophobia.