When The Odds Are Against | Teen Ink

When The Odds Are Against

By Katie_Lyn SILVER, Goshen, Indiana
Katie_Lyn SILVER, Goshen, Indiana

Stop waiting for Friday,
for summer,
for someone to
fall in love with you,
for life to happen.
Happiness is achieved,
when you stop waiting for it,
and make the most of the
moment you are in
right now.

When the odds are against you... do you back down or give up? Do you listen to the lies trying to take over your mind, body, and soul? Do you let them drag you down in to the dark abyss where dreams are destroyed? Do you fall and stay there? Do you let your light fade? Do you let your voice go unheard? 

"No!" I scream, "I don't." I pick myself up, dust myself off, and try again. I listen not to the lies, but truth I find in me that whispers "Don't give up." I don't find my fate in fire, or wind, or rain, or even my failures. It is not decided by those who oppose or support me. My fate, who I am, and what I'm made of, is created deep inside of me. It comes from the smallest voice that turns into my anthem. And it says...

I am not done yet! 

Over the past summer I really struggled to push through some things I was battling. Writing was something that helped me get through it and this is one of my short peices that came out of that. It really helped me gain confidence in myself. This year I am proud to say that I've come out on the other side ten times stronger.