Set Piece | Teen Ink

Set Piece

It was a foggy day. The winter air was cold. The boy walked into a big room through the double doors. He and his family sat in the third row that they were assigned to. The boy's uncle and cousin walked in last and walked toward the casket. Then, the boy’s uncle turned right and headed towards the podium with the microphone. He gave his speech. The uncle talked about how they first met at a wedding. He also talked about how she stayed positive and kept her spirits up. She was always ready to whip up some tamales during the holidays. He talked about their trips. He was overwhelmed with all the support he received to make it possible to still be able to go to work and keep his insurance. He also mentioned that she is first person in her family to graduate college. A tear ran down the boy’s eye. Then more and more came. The boy remembered the good memories with his aunt. He remembers the first taco she made for him. When he took his first bite, he remembered it felt like heaven. Then the boy walked out and watched his aunt’s casket lowering to the ground. He walked into a room with a lot of food. The boy overheard his uncle’s voice on the loudspeaker that he would like everyone to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because it was her favorite food after she took her nightly medication. The boy grabbed a plate with food making sure to grab the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He sat down and began to eat his food when he realized that the room was completely silent. In the background, the boy’s father put up a slideshow of his aunt and all the great memories that were captured.

This was a personal experience.