Special Hair | Teen Ink

Special Hair

October 24, 2018
By gamoen GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
gamoen GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Four generations went by before I––the odd one out––came along. Only one person from my family was like me.  

July 4th, the year 1997––my mother and father welcomed my oldest brother, Sean, into the world. With my mother and father dark brunettes, they were shocked by the golden glow of my brother’s thin hair. For the first three years of his life, Sean’s hair was as light as his skin.

January 7th, the year 1999––my second brother, Nick, was welcomed into the world. Not knowing what to expect, my parents were curious if their second son would also be blonde. Clearly distinct from Sean, Nick was born with a thick, full head of hair, so brown it almost looked black.  

February 26th, the year 2001––I was the last of the three to be welcomed into the world. My parents were certain they were ready for anything, but they weren’t ready for this. I came out with fierce, fiery red beams radiating off my hair.  I was the most shocking of all.

Four generations ago, my bisabuelo was the odd one out––until I came along. Being the odd one out isn’t so bad, it makes me unique, just like him.