The Attack | Teen Ink

The Attack

By Annadoerr22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
Annadoerr22 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

“It is attacking me! Someone!  Get it off . Help!” I screamed.

“What is it?” Papa questioned.

“I don’t know. It is too dark to see.”

Earlier that day…

“Papa, can we please have a bonfire tonight?” I asked.

“Not tonight, Anna. There is a football game on tonight,” Papa told me.

“Please… you can just record the game. I will do anything you want me to do, and we could invite the neighbors down.”                                                                                                          

“Okay, Anna. I guess we could have a small bonfire,” Papa decided. I was so excited that my little ten-year-old body could hardly stay in the chair that I had been finishing my summer reading book in. I knew I would convince him. I mean how could you say no to my cute little face. I was especially excited to see my friends and make smores. Papa and I went outside to collect sticks. When we got back in, I called my friends and told them about the bonfire. They all said they could come. A few hours later when it began to get dark, I threw on my new tank top from Justice and put on some bug spray. I was all set and very excited.

I walked outside and watched my grandpa as he prepared the fire. He then sent me inside to get some straightened out hangers for the smores, a pack of Hershey’s chocolate bars, a box of graham crackers, and a bag of marshmallows. As I struggled to bring out all the supplies, my brother, Will, carried out a table beside me. My mom and grandma carried out chairs one at a time. It was now so dark that we could not see without either being right next to the fire or having a flash light. One by one my friends began to arrive. I greeted each one of them with a hug. We all decided to play hide ‘n seek in the neighborhood between our four houses. After playing “Blue Shoe Blue Shoe”, we decided that I was the unlucky one out of us that would have to be it first. So, I walked over to the side of the field where I was going to count. But there was one problem, I could not see the ground.

“Oh well,” I thought to myself. I did not think that I would actually step on anything. All that I could hear were the laughs of my friends up the street. Please don’t step on something. Please don’t step on something. Please don’t… Wait, I should probably start counting. As I cautiously became nearer and nearer to the edge of the woods, I began to count while my friends started to hide. “1…2…3… Ahhhhhh,” I squalled as something jumped out from what seemed to be a hole. It flapped its wings in my face, and I ran away screaming. The wind that its wings created nearly knocked me down. My friends came back down the hill wondering what had happened.

“I got attacked by a turkey. It jumped in my face, and it tried to kill me and scratch my face and…”

“Where did it come from?” my friend Ryah asked, cutting me off.

“Right over there near the woods. It was in a hole watching us the whole time we have been out here, waiting to attack me. It just wanted to kill us all. What if it comes back?” I frantically asked.

“Wait, did you say it came from here?” Kate asked as she pointed to a hole on the edge of the woods.

“Yes,” I replied.

“It was protecting its eggs. It never wanted to hurt you. It just wanted to protect the eggs,” Kate said.

“It still could’ve killed me. What if it just went to go get all its turkey friends, and they are planning an attack?”

“They are not going to attack us, Anna,” Kara said.

“Whatever, I’m going inside, and I am never stepping foot close to those woods again,” I said as I walked inside with my friends.

“Who wants to go play hide ‘n seek in the dark, down in the basement?” Kate asked.

“What if there is a wild turkey down there!” Ryah joked. We all laughed and decided to play hide ‘n seek with the lights on.