Christmas Eve | Teen Ink

Christmas Eve

By JJC46 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JJC46 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

On a frosty Christmas Eve, my relatives gather inside playing card games and watching football. My relatives and I craving to eat my grandma's sweet tarts sitting on the kitchen counter. As the day goes on and the snow starts settling, we start making bets on the sweet tarts.

My cousin Gram, bet his brother Riley in a game of basketball for the his tart at dinner, and the loser had to do snow angles with no clothes on. Since Gram, a 6’6” giant, used to be a basketball player, Riley revamped the deal and offered to do it in a race. They did the race in bare feet through the blistering snow. As they are running through the snow, Riley hears Gram coming from behind and then BOOM! Gram hit Riley from behind and won the race.

As dinner comes around, the sweet tarts are still untouched. My cousins and I are scarfing down our dinner so we can get enjoy the tarts as quick as possible. As we finish dinner, we each take one dessert and enjoy the rich, ripe raisins within the treat. Sadly, Riley had to enjoy one less tart because of the tragic loss in the race.

Throughout the whole day, my cousins and I craved for one dessert that is the size of a golf ball. In reality, I would wait days for this treat that melts in your mouth. Thankfully, my grandmother made extra so we had more for the coming days.