Special Olympics | Teen Ink

Special Olympics

October 1, 2018
By Anonymous

Last year, I joined Key Club because I thought it would be rewarding to help others and make my community better. My Key Club supervisor needed volunteers for the Best Buddies basketball league. I did not know much about Best Buddies, but I am a basketball player and thought it would be fun, so I signed up to help out.

   

On the first day, the head coach asked me to coach by myself because I was the only volunteer who knew how to play basketball. He wanted me to teach the pick and roll to a group of twelve players who ranged in age from sixteen to forty years old with varying cognitive abilities. I knew how to do the pick and roll, but I was nervous because I was not sure I would be able to explain it well. I introduced myself and said, “Hi, I’m your coach, Tyler, and I’m going to teach you about how to run the play called the pick and roll.” Before I was even finished talking, one player had run off, half of the group was not paying attention, and one said, “I know that you can’t teach me anything." For fifteen minutes, I tried to get a drill started desperately trying to get everyone’s attention. I quickly realized that they not cooperating because they were uncomfortable with me because I was new. They each had unique worries about me and the practice. I spoke to each player separately so I could learn why they were worried and reassure them that I was there to help them learn and have fun. They finally started to pay attention. Just as the drill started running smoothly, but before I could relish my accomplishment, the head coach blew the whistle, and everyone huddled up because it was time to scrimmage 3 on 3.

   Everyone was very excited, but I knew it was going to be difficult because I had twelve players and only three could play at a time. I would have to rotate players frequently and try to keep everyone happy. I was worried and tried to think positively, but in no time, what I thought would happen happened. This was worse than getting a drill going because this was even more unpredictable. Some were complaining about playing time. One was upset because another player would never pass him the ball. Two of them were arguing about something unrelated to basketball. There were 12 players with 12 different concerns and worries in the middle of a game situation. I tried to calm each player down and reassure them. I tried to help those arguing work out their conflicts. I did my best, and by the end of the scrimmage, some of the most resistant players had started to pay attention to me and trust me. Overall, the first practice was challenging but successful. As the season progressed, the practices became easier as I learned more about the players and their individual emotional, intellectual, and physical strengths and weaknesses. It surprised me how diverse each player was. Some seemed to understand me easily and others struggled to communicate and understand.

   

Getting to know them individually helped me teach them, gain their trust, and become their friend. Once they trusted me and became more comfortable with me, they were able to improve individually and work together as a team. Through their hard work, they earned a spot at the Special Olympics. I am proud to have twelve new friends who are now confident basketball players. Unexpectedly, I have become more confident, patient, and understanding because of this experience. I have learned how to communicate more effectively with individuals with different levels of understanding. I have also become better at listening, teaching, and mediating. I am glad that I was able to help the team and learn from them. I look forward to coaching them again this year.


The author's comments:

In this piece i wrote about my experience with special olympics and how it impacted me.