Meeting My Father For The First Time | Teen Ink

Meeting My Father For The First Time

By Jorrdan_writes GOLD, Byram Ms, Mississippi
Jorrdan_writes GOLD, Byram Ms, Mississippi

You are going to die. Squeeze all that you can out of this one life you have. Live each day fully, because it could be gone as fast as a half taken breath.

I knew it was something missing, I’ve always known. Growing up with my stepdad I wondered why our last name was different. I had no clue. I had grown so close to him and his side of the family that it never clicked in my head that I had a totally different family that I didn’t know.

When I was in the 9th grade I finally started thinking more and more about why our names were different and it finally clicked.

My dad was somewhere but I didn’t know where, and maybe other siblings that I have never met. I wondered how I could try to find them but I had no clue. So I left it alone and the thoughts faded away, and I was back to the state of mind I was in before.

About 2 years later I found out my fathers name and started searching for it on different platforms. I found a Facebook page but it didn’t have many posts so I assumed it wasn’t active.

I saw a picture of him standing beside a girl that looked very similar to him, and me also. So I assumed it was my sister.

She had to be older than me because she was in graduation attire. I looked around to see if I can find her name or her account, no luck.

There was a picture of her and her mom, and she was tagged in it. I clicked on the profile and saw that it was active. I sent her a message stating that I think we may be related, but after about a week there was no response.

Maybe she saw it and ignored it I thought, so I tried again. I found a friend of her mother and decided to send her a message.

She told my sister about the message I sent her and it turns out that she didn’t ignore it, she just didn’t have Facebook messenger downloaded.

So my sister ( Alexia ) responded to the message and wanted to call. I was nervous at first but finally went through with it. We talked on the phone for about an hour that night, and I also talked to my grandma and aunts.

It turns out that my sister had planned on visiting the following weekend, so I told my mom about it and I got the chance to meet her and some family members for the first time.

It was super exciting, knowing that I had a 3rd family out there and meeting them for the first time in my life.

So my father came along with my sister about a week ago and we all spent time with each other for about 5 days. It was a fun experience and definitely opened my eyes on myself more.

I have no regrets about how my life is, I love it exactly the way it is, every inch of it.