Meeting My Father For The First Time | Teen Ink

Meeting My Father For The First Time

July 17, 2018
By Jorrdan_writes GOLD, Byram Ms, Mississippi
Jorrdan_writes GOLD, Byram Ms, Mississippi
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You are going to die. Squeeze all that you can out of this one life you have. Live each day fully, because it could be gone as fast as a half taken breath.


I knew it was something missing, I’ve always known. Growing up with my stepdad I wondered why our last name was different. I had no clue. I had grown so close to him and his side of the family that it never clicked in my head that I had a totally different family that I didn’t know.

When I was in the 9th grade I finally started thinking more and more about why our names were different and it finally clicked.

My dad was somewhere but I didn’t know where, and maybe other siblings that I have never met. I wondered how I could try to find them but I had no clue. So I left it alone and the thoughts faded away, and I was back to the state of mind I was in before.

About 2 years later I found out my fathers name and started searching for it on different platforms. I found a Facebook page but it didn’t have many posts so I assumed it wasn’t active.

I saw a picture of him standing beside a girl that looked very similar to him, and me also. So I assumed it was my sister.

 

She had to be older than me because she was in graduation attire. I looked around to see if I can find her name or her account, no luck.

There was a picture of her and her mom, and she was tagged in it. I clicked on the profile and saw that it was active. I sent her a message stating that I think we may be related, but after about a week there was no response.

Maybe she saw it and ignored it I thought, so I tried again. I found a friend of her mother and decided to send her a message.

She told my sister about the message I sent her and it turns out that she didn’t ignore it, she just didn’t have Facebook messenger downloaded.

So my sister ( Alexia ) responded to the message and wanted to call. I was nervous at first but finally went through with it. We talked on the phone for about an hour that night, and I also talked to my grandma and aunts.

It turns out that my sister had planned on visiting the following weekend, so I told my mom about it and I got the chance to meet her and some family members for the first time.

It was super exciting, knowing that I had a 3rd family out there and meeting them for the first time in my life.

So my father came along with my sister about a week ago and we all spent time with each other for about 5 days. It was a fun experience and definitely opened my eyes on myself more.

I have no regrets about how my life is, I love it exactly the way it is, every inch of it.