My Crash at Mackinac Island | Teen Ink

My Crash at Mackinac Island

I was in the bathroom when my dad asked if I was ok. I lied when I replied with a simple yes. As my eyes filled with tears, I was peeling off what seemed to be a part of my own skin, but in reality, it was a the excessive amount of adhesive like, super glue on a band-aid, that was put on earlier that day.

“Wow! Look at that! The water looks like glass,” my dad said as he walked onto the pebbled beach on the shore of Mackinac Island. He had hopped off of his bike to stretch his legs. Julia, Dad and I all looked for the perfect smooth stone on the lake Huron side to try to skip  across the calm lake.  My dad tossed the rock straight across the water skipping once, twice, three times before it sank under the glistening water. Julia had done the same, while I still needed more practice.

“Let’s build a rock tower!” Julia had said. She had seen different size stones stacked vertically as we rode around the perimeter of the island. Julia finally acted on  her wish and built a very undersized tower. As we waved goodbye to the miniature tower, we resumed on our trip.

We rode along until we came to at a place called Devil’s Kitchen. It was packed full of tourists although it was just an enormous hole in the side of a rock hill. It wasn’t very amusing to me, but everyone else enjoyed it and we posed for a family picture in the opening.

Before long, my dad and I were ahead of the slow pokes other wise known as my sister and mother. Suddenly, I had no control over my bike! I tried to redirect the bike again, turning the handlebars-left, right, left, right- but I kept swerving out of control. I then tumbled  off of my bike, scraping the side of my calf and my knee. I had not realized what I had done until I had looked at it. I did not know what made me fall. Everyone that was passing us on the side of the rode was asking if I needed help, wondering if they could do something. They all just saw us when we stopped at Devil’s Kitchen.

While Mom and Dad looked at my leg, Julia went off to the side of the trail  to make another rock tower.  My dad was rummaging around in his backpack for a band-aid. It seems he always has one with him. Then, after what seemed to be forever, he said he could not find one and had to go into town to buy some.

“Can you ride your bike?” my mother asked.

I replied, “No I can not. It hurts to much,” So my dad and sister rode  into town together, while Mom and I walked our bikes to a nearby bench where we sat and watched the waves crash up on the shore of the island. After awhile, we see Dad and Julia riding up on their bikes. I then put my leg on the bench so I could put a band-aid over the scrapes. I stuck my leg out so they could look at it. My Dad pulled out antibacterial spray, and I got kind of scared, even though I knew it was good for me. I  closed my eyes and I felt a sudden spray of coldness. Only a few seconds after, I felt a stinging in my leg that would not leave. Whenever I feel pain from a cut, I worry about bacteria. But I knew my Dad was taking care of me and it was ok. My dad pulled out the band-aid. The one they bought for me was HUGE!  It had a fabric feel to it and it was tan so I knew it was the kind that were good.  They did not come off unless pulled it off.

We then started to walk to a restaurant so we could relax and get food into all of our stomachs from a long day riding bikes. We walked into the restaurant and we ordered our food. I had a caesar salad since I was traumatized from falling.

Later that day we came back to the hotel. My sister and mother went strip mall shopping in mackinaw city while my dad and I relaxed in the hotel.

“Kiddo you should go take that band-aid off and clean it up,” my dad said to me. So, as told, I went into the bathroom to wash-up. I sat down, and the side of the tub was freezing.  I was in the bathroom for a while before my dad knocked on the door.

“You ok kid?” my dad said sort of loudly through the door.  I replied with a simple yes. That was a lie. My eyes filled with tears. I was not ok. It felt like my skin was being ripped off. After the long day of pain I realized that I need to be more careful and not be so reckless.