She Shoots and Doesn't Score! | Teen Ink

She Shoots and Doesn't Score!

In middle school, I liked this guy who loved to play basketball. During recess outside, he would play with his friends and I would just walk around the playground gawking at him with mine. It just so happened that all of my friends liked him as well so we all admired him together from afar. One day I felt like he would be impressed if I could play. Even though I am terrible at any form of physical activity, I slowly walked towards him asking to play with them and in the process interrupted their game. My friends laughed when I told them my idea and laughed even harder when I began to embarrass myself, as usual.

I was on his team and the game was going well. We were winning and I even managed to score some points. The whole game I was pretending to be a professional but on the inside I was dying and just wanted to sit down. I remember begging silently to God that they wouldn’t pass me the ball but it happened anyways. Towards the end of the game, he passed the ball to me so I could shoot it up to score. Instead of scoring, I tried to do a trick shot and ended up turning and running face first into a pole.

I instantly became dizzy and stumbled to the ground. My ears were ringing and all I could see was everyone laughing from the distance. Even though a huge knot was forming on my head, I managed to laugh along with them. After laughing for what felt like at least 10 minutes, my friends made their way to me to ask if I was okay. Besides the fact that my head was pounding and I couldn’t see straight, everything was just peachy. I could feel my headache multiplying with each passing second as one friend walked me inside to get ice and to the office where the nurse was located. Although embarrassing, it was a great laugh and because of it, I was able to leave school early. I also made a vow to myself to never play basketball again.