English Memoir | Teen Ink

English Memoir

By mromig BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan
mromig BRONZE, Battle Creek, Michigan

SNAP! There was a loud pop. I got tackled shoulder first into the couch in my living room. I started screaming in agony. I turned and rolled over and I couldn't move my arm at all. My collarbone broke.

My dad was the only one home at the time so he had to deal with me. I screamed and screamed and screamed.
He was in a panic, “What's wrong?!” All I could do is scream. I was kicking and twitching while holding my arm.
My dad laid me down and put a bag of peas on my arm for ice. I was wondering why in the world would he be putting food on my broken arm.  He called my mom from work and she went crazy. I could hear her from the couch when my dad was on the phone with her.

She was screaming “What do you mean he broke his shoulder!? He's 3! How do you let this just happen!?”

There is other things she said but I am not allowed to use that type of language. 

She rushed home to take me to the hospital. I don't know why my dad didn't take me since he was home and my mom was at work. But when she got home she looked at my arm. My bone broke and it looked like a mountain coming out of my arm. It seemed like it could burst through the skin at any moment and i'm glad it didn't. It was a struggle to get up and move around because every step felt like my arm was gonna fall off. On our way there it seemed like we hit every bump possible.

I yelled, “Stop hitting all of the holes!”

When we got in, I had to go sit in the waiting room; but as I went to sit down some people separated my mom and I and started to ask questions. I can't remember what they said but my mom said that she was arguing with some people and asking where I was. I can't remember what happened when the separated us. I just remember getting put in a room of some sort.

My mom said that all she did was ask where I was. They asked what happened and she said to ask my dad; who wasn't there. They said that she wasn't being a good parent for letting a 3 and a 5 year old rough house and tackle each other. My mom gave the doctor a death stare.

When I went to get my x-ray, they had me lay down on this table in a dark room. I was a little bit scared at first, but then it got real scary when they put that put this thing over my body and I had no idea what it was. It was really heavy and I felt like I was getting crushed. When I got my x-ray back my bone was nearly split in 2. It looked creepy. They said I'd have to be in a sling for 8-10 weeks. So they wrapped me in the sling and I went home.

On my way back home the pain was still there. It wasn't going to go anywhere anytime soon. I just had to deal with it.

For the next month and a half I had to get help putting on my clothes, taking them off, getting into bed and all sorts of stuff. I was in preschool at the time. I didn't think that it would be right to be wearing a sling when i'm in preschool. When I went back, I took my x-ray into class and I showed everyone.