Better Women | Teen Ink

Better Women

It felt like dad’s back was turned when she did what she did to us. I thought that he would realize what she was and come save us, but he never did. He even turned against us. My life changed when I had lost my dad.. To his wife.

I was really close to my dad, even before my parents got a divorce.  My sisters and I lived with him for most of my life. My mom would come and get us on Wednesdays and every other weekend. She also would get us for half of the summer. In my lifetime. Dad moved around a lot and seemed to never be settled. It was like he was looking for something, and he found it. We were living in a perfect sized house close to the small town of Tekonsha at the time. The house was a double-wide with three bedrooms and one bathroom. My second oldest sister Skylar and I shared the master bedroom together. I remember that he would go out on the weekend sometimes, but I never thought that he was dating a girl at the time. He brought over on a weekend night. We meet and I thought had she was really nice and we would have a great relationship. I’m going to have a second mom I thought. She was around for a couple of months intel dad asked her to marry him. She moved in with her and her daughter. The was way too small for six people and a dog. Stress was high because of sharing a bathroom between five girls. The step mom was slowing starting to take over the family and the household. She started to manipulate him and when she started doing that he started to distance himself from us. My sisters and kept on getting in fights with her. Mom’s house and school was our escape.

The day that I lost him, started out like any other day. It was just another summer morning. The windows were open, letting in the smell of earth in the house because of the field that was right in the backyard. The sun was shining through the windows letting in warmth from the early morning sun. Dad woke us up and told us to go to the dining room table. He said that he wanted to tell us something. He said that knows that we didn’t like our new step mom, and that we were just going to have to deal with her. Skylar my middle sister said that we don’t want to “deal” with her. Paige my oldest sister and agreed with her. He didn’t look us in the eyes when told us the thing that changed my life. He told us that he had a new family now and that didn’t include us. Hearing those words come from his mouth crushed me. They took the air out of my lungs, turned my bones to dust, and broke my heart all at once. That was the day I lost my dad.

The look on my sister’s face matched mine, and I soon found out that my oldest sister was never going to spend another night in a house under his name again. She moved into my mom's house a week later and a couple months later my second oldest sister moved in too. That left me with my dad, my stepmom and my step sister. I spent a little bit more than a year by myself in a house full of people. Dad’s new family and I moved into a new house that was twice the size of the previous house. The new house was in a different school district, so that made me move to a new school.

I couldn’t take it anymore. Dealing with a fake father. I left a year later, because I couldn’t stand being a burden in their perfect family. My oldest sister and I still don’t talk to him, but my middle sister had found the will to forgive him. I work so hard in school and I have so much passion for what I do to rub it in his face that, I’m doing better at my mom’s house then I ever could at his. With all the hurt in my past I have grown to be a better women.