A Waste of Time | Teen Ink

A Waste of Time

By Katie19 BRONZE, Bellingham, Massachusetts
Katie19 BRONZE, Bellingham, Massachusetts

It was not long ago, only about twelve  years when I thought I was going to have the time of my life. I was turning three years old when my family and friends decided to go to Disney World. Not only were my brothers eight and four years older than me, I was the youngest of all of the family and friends to go. My mom thought it was a great idea to spend my birthday, October 10th, at Disney World. I was just a typical young two year old girl who loved princesses and toys.  I was planning on having the time of my life, but that is not what I experienced.

We finally arrived at the place where memories are made. As I walked into Disney World all I could remember is the bright colors and the enormous rides around me. I thought I was in a dream. It was such an amazing view. My brothers and friends went off to go onto the enormous roller coasters that I was not tall enough for. There goes that experience of the thrill rides. I was left with my mom and friend who was five years old. Her name was Erica and we have known each other forever. We didn’t know what to do. I was thinking. I really wanted to meet Ariel the princess.  We had to have walked for what seemed 100 miles. I was looking and taking all of the fun and loving experiences in. We finally reached our destination, Ariel. I could not wait. We got into line and my mom looked at a sign that was near us. Only two hours from this point until you get to meet the wonderful Ariel. It was actually awful. The sun was beating down and I was sweating. Erica and I were so excited to see her. A couple of hours went by and we were now next in line. I looked up and I saw this mermaid sitting on a rock. She was making weird faces. I couldn’t. I could not walk in there with this scary thing. I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. My mom was practically yelling at me to go sit with her and get a picture taken.

“Please don’t make me go over there”.

I wouldn’t. All I did was wave and then leave. I don’t know what got into me. We slowly walked out of the cave that Ariel was in. My mom was furious. She wasted two hours at Disney for nothing.

“Are you serious? I have spent so much money for you to go and see the princesses and you won’t even take a picture with her.”

All of us then started to think what we wanted to do next considering everything was a waste of time.  Yes, ET was our next stop. Erica and I were super excited to go on this ride. It was official we were going on. We waited in line for about one hour. All of sudden, as soon as we were getting on the ride Erica said she had to pee. My mom looked at her.

“Can you wait until after the ride, “my mom proclaimed.

She couldn’t. It was an emergency. She physically could not hold it. We unbuckled from the seats and had to leave to go the bathroom. At this point it had been about 6 hours and we still have not gone on one ride at Disney. My mom could not be any madder. My dad and all of our friends were having the times of their lives going on every ride. Not worrying about the little ones.

We have to do something. We are at Disney World and have not done anything. We saw the easiest ride at the whole park, It’s a Small World. We immediately got in line for this ride. It was not a long wait because no one wanted to go on this annoying ride. We all boarded the small boat and were off. The only ride we went on at Disney. There were small kids above kept singing it’s a small world after all. I remember seeing my mom in the boat completely mad and annoyed with the ride we were on. I personally thought it was fun because it was the only ride that I went on at Disney World.

Disney was a complete waste of time for my birthday. The next day all of the families decided to go to Animal Kingdom. As soon as my family was leaving the hotel room my brothers and I got into a big fight like all siblings do. My dad flipped out and said we were not allowed to go to Animal Kingdom. That meant my mom had to stay behind in the hotel room while my dad went to Animal Kingdom.

“All of you do not deserve to go to Animal Kingdom you spoiled brats. I came all the way to Florida to not have you guys fight. I am not putting up with this,” my dad yelled.

My mom was furious. We all were in a small hotel room with no toys and nothing around us. We decided to go to the pool. My mom sat down on the side of the pool and noticed there was no water. The pool was broken. Nothing can get worse. My mom went back to the hotel room to look for something more comfortable considering she was in a hotel room for the whole day. She started to look for the luggage. My dad had taken it with him because he had driven himself to Animal Kingdom. It was not a pleasant experience sitting in that room.

Disney was probably the worst experience that I have ever had in my entire life. The only person to have fun was my dad. My mom was a compete mess, my brothers were fighting and I probably had the worst third birthday in the whole world. Not only have I never been back to Disney my parents don’t want to go back.

Recently, I found out my basketball team was going to Disney World. One part if me was excited because I have not been in 12 years and another part of me was nervous because I don’t want to ruin another trip. This time it is just my team and I and nobody else. I can’t wait and I will let everyone know how it was when I get back.

Hopefully I will be able to meet princesses and go on the rides that I like.

“Just pray that I will have a good time.”